Hardware Test Engineer
Pyka is looking for a Test Engineer to support the development of its autonomous electric aircraft. You will design and execute test campaigns at the system and part level. Your testing will discover issues that you will also root cause. Your work will be essential for improving the reliability and performance of our system. You will design and build test rigs, as well as outsource testing. You will provide clear reports and recommendations to improve our product.
In addition, you will work closely with engineers from each primary discipline to develop robust acceptance testing that ensure that each Pyka aircraft leaves the factory in an airworthy condition ready for customers.
In this role you will have significant autonomy and the opportunity to contribute to many of Pyka’s most innovative and complex technologies. Your work will be prioritized and budgeted for. This will be a technically demanding position with enormous opportunity for ownership.
Pyka’s goal is to provide society with a new form of safe, clean, and cost-effective transportation enabled by autonomous electric aviation.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We're applying our technologies to every industry where autonomous electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we're building game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes.
Today, we supply autonomous electric aircraft for cargo transport and crop protection to real-world customers across four separate continents and have secured industry-first regulatory approvals from the FAA.
Our cargo aircraft enables remote connectivity, enhances express delivery networks, and ensures fast and reliable shipping of critical supplies to areas in need. Our crop protection aircraft offers agricultural services providers and farmers an autonomous tool to make aerial application safer, more precise, and less harmful to surrounding environments. Both vehicles are highly economical to operate, easy to deploy, and significantly reduce CO2 emissions in their respective industries.
What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one step closer each day.
- Lead the creation and design of test campaigns and test plans
- Independently carry out testing with rigor and attention to detail
- Design and build the test rigs you’ll need
- Produce excellent, clear, concise reports
- Provide regular status updates and maintain reliability metrics
- Use testing to root cause field issues
- Outsource testing where necessary, managing vendors and timelines
- Work with the design engineers to design, build, and set up acceptance, endurance, and environmental testing of ground equipment and aircraft systems
- Develop and document instructions and procedures for various tests
- Work with suppliers to set up and maintain testing equipment
- Guide technicians to perform testing and finish test reports
- Triage and investigate issues from the issue list
- 2-8 years experience in hands on testing of mechanical and electromechanical systems
- Experience designing mechanical fixtures using CAD tools such as Solidworks, NX
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping tools such as laser cutting, 3D printing, etc.
- Experience with root causing techniques
- Experience with electromechanical system acceptance testing and endurance testing
- Experience with HALT (highly accelerated life testing)
- Experience automating testing
- Experience with statistics and lifetime calculations
- Excitement to build things and try new ideas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to write clear and concise procedures and instructions
- $95,000 - $135,000 per year base salary + equity. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Salary ranges are subject to change.
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid time off, company holidays, and parental leave
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
Export Control Requirements
This position requires access to technology, software and other information that is subject to governmental access control restrictions, due to export controls. Employment in this position is conditioned on the continued availability of government authorization to authorize release of such items, to the extent required, including without limitation an export license, or other documentation required to establish authorization to receive access to such items.
Company may delay commencement of employment, rescind an offer of employment, terminate employment, and/or may modify job responsibilities, compensation, benefits, and/or access to Company facilities and information systems, as Company deems appropriate, in order to ensure compliance with applicable government access control restrictions.
We do not work with external recruiters; if you are an external recruiter, please do not reach out.