Electrical Engineering Technician
Pyka is looking for an Electrical Engineering Technician to support the development of its autonomous electric aircraft systems. In this role, you will help a small team of electrical engineers to design and test cutting-edge electronics subsystems for our aircraft.
Pyka’s goal is to provide society with a new form of fast, environmentally friendly, and accessible transportation enabled by autonomous electric aviation.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We're applying our technologies to every industry where electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we're building useful, game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
Today, we supply our aircraft to agricultural service providers and farmers as an autonomous tool that makes aerial crop protection safer, more targeted and less harmful to surrounding environments. Our vehicles are highly economical to operate and easy to deploy. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one-step closer each day.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, and expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will have a great deal of responsibility, earn a competitive salary and benefits, and contribute to the development of groundbreaking technology.
- Perform incoming quality checks on production material
- Troubleshoot issues with PCBs
- Repair and rework PCBs and electronics subsystems
- Assemble prototype PCBs and electronics subsystems based on schematics, PCB layout, and assembly work instructions
- Use multimeters, oscilloscopes, and other test equipment to perform acceptance testing for electronics subsystems such as motor controllers, battery monitoring systems, and flight computers
- Build wire harnesses and test setups based on wiring diagrams and CAD drawings
- Support EE and SW teams in development of prototypes and electrical mock ups for new projects using available devices, tools, development kits
- Maintain the lab space and keep equipment operational and orderly
- 2-4 years of experience with soldering, PCB rework, and building wiring harnesses based on schematic diagrams and drawings.
- Strong soldering skills. Ability to rework PCBs and replace commonly used SMD components (0603 resistors, LQFP components etc).
- Understanding of wiring diagrams and ability to build one-off wiring harnesses using proper tools (wire stripper, crimper, etc).
- Electronic bench testing experience with PCBs using digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, and power supplies.
- Understanding of electronic circuits and ability to troubleshoot at the component level.
- Basic high voltage safety knowledge and comfortable working on 120 VDC, 20 ~ 30 kW systems.
- Familiarity with basic hand tools: drills, screw drivers, pliers, etc.
- Ability to follow instructions, both written and verbal, to carefully assemble electronic subsystems containing a variety of electrical and mechanical components.
- Experience inspecting and ensuring quality of electrical subsystems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate is not afraid to ask for clarification or give feedback.
- Detail oriented documentation skills (writing procedures/ documenting test results).
- $62,000–$82,000 per year base salary + equity. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Salary ranges are subject to change.
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid holidays and generous PTO
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
- Opportunity to work on large autonomous aircraft and see them fly
Export Control Requirements
This position requires access to technology, software and other information that is subject to governmental access control restrictions, due to export controls. Employment in this position is conditioned on the continued availability of government authorization to authorize release of such items, to the extent required, including without limitation an export license, or other documentation required to establish authorization to receive access to such items.
Company may delay commencement of employment, rescind an offer of employment, terminate employment, and/or may modify job responsibilities, compensation, benefits, and/or access to Company facilities and information systems, as Company deems appropriate, in order to ensure compliance with applicable government access control restrictions.
We do not work with external recruiters; if you are an external recruiter, please do not reach out.