Senior/Staff Manufacturing Engineer — Electronic Subsystems
Pyka is seeking a seasoned Electronic Subsystem Manufacturing Engineer. Specifically, an action-oriented leader who will work with and guide the subsystem manufacturing team to continue developing and implementing manufacturing processes for Pyka Aircraft’s subsystems. You will work with bright and motivated cross-functional teams, and deliver turnkey solutions to enable aerospace production at scale. Your work will bring the highest safety, quality, and efficiency while reducing overall, long-term costs. Your level of involvement will begin in the design phase of new programs all the way to stable, reliable production.
Pyka’s goal is to provide society with a new form of fast, environmentally friendly, and accessible transportation enabled by autonomous electric aviation.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We're applying our technologies to every industry where electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we're building useful, game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
Today, we supply our aircraft to agricultural service providers and farmers as an autonomous tool that makes aerial crop protection safer, more targeted and less harmful to surrounding environments. Our vehicles are highly economical to operate and easy to deploy. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one-step closer each day.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, and expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will have a great deal of responsibility, earn a competitive salary and benefits, and contribute to the development of groundbreaking technology.
- Work closely with the Pyka design teams (EE, ME) and the production team to develop manufacturing/assembly procedures and quality control procedures for electronics subsystems.
- Provide in-depth design for manufacturing (DFM) feedback to the Pyka design teams to ensure that our manufacturing processes are robust and deliver high quality results.
- Work with design teams to develop fixtures and tools required to improve manufacturing processes.
- Accountability for manufacturing process validation and transition to the production team (internal or contract manufacturers) with all necessary training and documentation.
- Assess vendor capabilities and make sourcing recommendations based on data.
- Work with contract manufacturers and vendors to improve building quality and address manufacturing issues.
- Lead research and development activities for new manufacturing technologies that address assembly challenges.
- BS in an engineering degree
- 5-10 years of experience working in an electronics manufacturing environment
- Experience developing and optimizing manufacturing processes for complex electro-mechanical systems
- Strong knowledge of electronic system assembly processes (e.g. PCB assembly, soldering, conformal coating, potting) and testing methodologies
- Familiar with wiring harness assembly processes and routing principles
- Familiar with different electrical interconnection technologies (e.g. busbar connection, welding, screw mount)
- Demonstrated ability to implement lean and continuous improvement processes
- Knowledge of quality tools (e.g. FMEA, DOE, 8D, and other methodologies)
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Comfortable with a dynamic work environment, and a track record of performing under pressure
- Exceptional project management and leadership skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to collaborate with cross-functional teams and suppliers
Above and Beyond Qualifications that will distinguish you:
- Knowledge of quality system requirements related to the FAA, AS9100, etc.
- Experience in developing battery pack and high power electronics manufacturing processes
- Familiarity with corrosion prevention and environmental testing
- Past work in aerospace or other highly regulated industries
- Experience in designing, project managing, and landing manufacturing lines from beginning to end
- $140,000–$180,000 per year base salary + competitive equity. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Salary ranges are subject to change.
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid time off, company holidays, and parental leave
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
Export Control Requirements
This position requires access to technology, software and other information that is subject to governmental access control restrictions, due to export controls. Employment in this position is conditioned on the continued availability of government authorization to authorize release of such items, to the extent required, including without limitation an export license, or other documentation required to establish authorization to receive access to such items.
Company may delay commencement of employment, rescind an offer of employment, terminate employment, and/or may modify job responsibilities, compensation, benefits, and/or access to Company facilities and information systems, as Company deems appropriate, in order to ensure compliance with applicable government access control restrictions.
We do not work with external recruiters; if you are an external recruiter, please do not reach out.