Aircraft Integration Technician
Pyka is looking for an Aircraft Integration Technician with the skills and drive to match or exceed that of our experienced, enthusiastic, and fast-moving team. In this role, you will be responsible for all aspects of “bringing the plane to life,” including running wires, installing connectors, mechanical assembly, composite bonding, maintenance, and repair. As one of our first integration technician hires, you will be a key contributor to the vehicle system. This is an active role that involves lifting, frequent standing, and some exposure to noise and VOCs. You will occasionally be required to sand cured epoxy composites, apply conformal coatings, and use solvent-based mold release agents. PPE is provided for these activities.
Pyka’s goal is to provide society with a new form of fast, environmentally friendly, and accessible transportation enabled by autonomous electric aviation.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We're applying our technologies to every industry where electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we're building useful, game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
Today, we supply our aircraft to agricultural service providers and farmers as an autonomous tool that makes aerial crop protection safer, more targeted and less harmful to surrounding environments. Our vehicles are highly economical to operate and easy to deploy. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one-step closer each day.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, and expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will have a great deal of responsibility, earn a competitive salary and benefits, and contribute to the development of groundbreaking technology.
- Use CAD drawings to accurately cut holes in composite airframe assemblies
- Prep and bond 3D printed parts to the composite airframe
- Install PCBs and electronics subsystems using schematics, PCB layout, and assembly work instructions
- Install wire harnesses, HV wiring, and cables based on wiring diagrams and CAD drawings
- Solder and crimp wires, install/replace connectors
- Meticulously maintain tools and fixturing
- Develop process improvements to increase manufacturing efficiency
- Monitor product quality during manufacturing and assembly
- Foster the principles of safety and cleanliness in the shop
- 2–4 years hands-on work with electrical and mechanical systems
- Familiarity with basic hand tools (screwdrivers, pliers, etc) and hand-held power tools (dremels, angle grinders, Festool vacs and accessories, drills)
- Excellent craftsmanship and experience with sanding, trimming, and painting
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions to assemble electronic subsystems containing a variety of electrical and mechanical components
- Understanding of wiring diagrams and ability to build wiring harnesses using proper tools (wire stripper, crimper, etc)
- Basic high voltage safety knowledge and comfortable working on 120 VDC, 20 ~ 30 kW systems
- Experience inspecting and ensuring quality of electrical subsystems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; the ideal candidate is not afraid to ask for clarification or give feedback
- Strong mechanical skills and intuition, and familiarity with different hardware types and applications
- Experience working with composites is a plus
- Extreme attention to detail and continual pursuit of perfection
- Strong team player, but comfortable with a lot of autonomy in the role
- $62,000–$80,000 per year base salary + equity. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Salary ranges are subject to change.
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid time off, company holidays, and parental leave
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
Export Control Requirements
This position requires access to technology, software and other information that is subject to governmental access control restrictions, due to export controls. Employment in this position is conditioned on the continued availability of government authorization to authorize release of such items, to the extent required, including without limitation an export license, or other documentation required to establish authorization to receive access to such items.
Company may delay commencement of employment, rescind an offer of employment, terminate employment, and/or may modify job responsibilities, compensation, benefits, and/or access to Company facilities and information systems, as Company deems appropriate, in order to ensure compliance with applicable government access control restrictions.
We do not work with external recruiters; if you are an external recruiter, please do not reach out.