Pyka is looking for a seasoned composite technician / prototype fabricator to join our experienced and enthusiastic team. In this role, you will be responsible for all aspects of composite airplane manufacturing, from laying up parts to assembly, trimming and finishing. Occasionally, our test fleet needs composite repair and maintenance as well. This is an active role requiring some lifting and occasional exposure to noise and VOCs. Some sanding of cured epoxy composites, and use of solvent-based mold release agents is required. Tools and PPE are provided.
Pyka’s goal is to provide society with a new form of fast, environmentally friendly, and accessible transportation enabled by autonomous electric aviation.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We're applying our technologies to every industry where electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we're building useful, game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
Today, we supply our aircraft to agricultural service providers and farmers as an autonomous tool that makes aerial crop protection safer, more targeted and less harmful to surrounding environments. Our vehicles are highly economical to operate and easy to deploy. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one-step closer each day.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, and expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will have a great deal of responsibility, earn a competitive salary and benefits, and contribute to the development of groundbreaking technology.
- Manufacture and assemble composite airplane structures
- Trim, drill, and finish composite parts to drawing specifications
- Meticulously maintain molds, tooling, fixturing and vac pumps
- Assemble/disassemble precision fixtures/jigs to aid in bonding of airframe main structure
- 3-5 years of experience building composite parts and assemblies including vacuum bagging, trimming and drilling, and bond prep for primary and secondary bonding of composite components
- Broad experience and high quality craftsmanship skills with various types of tools (pneumatic, power and hand tools), materials and techniques (pre-preg, infusion, and wet lamination)
- Proficiency in moldmaking and toolmaking
- Competence in mixing and use of epoxy resins and fairing compounds
- Ability to read, interpret and understand technical drawings
- Takes pride in being flexible, easily adapting to design and schedule changes
- Strong mechanical skills and intuition
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Strong team player, but comfortable working on your own
- $62,000–$80,000 per year base salary + equity. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Salary ranges are subject to change.
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid holidays and generous PTO
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
- Opportunity to work on large autonomous aircraft and see them fly
Export Control Requirements
This position requires access to technology, software and other information that is subject to governmental access control restrictions, due to export controls. Employment in this position is conditioned on the continued availability of government authorization to authorize release of such items, to the extent required, including without limitation an export license, or other documentation required to establish authorization to receive access to such items.
Company may delay commencement of employment, rescind an offer of employment, terminate employment, and/or may modify job responsibilities, compensation, benefits, and/or access to Company facilities and information systems, as Company deems appropriate, in order to ensure compliance with applicable government access control restrictions.
We do not work with external recruiters; if you are an external recruiter, please do not reach out.