Senior RF Applications Engineer
Fortify is a dynamic venture-backed 3D printing startup with a passionate team of engineers and business professionals who are at the forefront of bringing new technologies to market. Founded in 2016 and located in Boston, Fortify’s team is transforming the 3D printing industry with its patented DCM (Digital Composite Manufacturing) platform, enabling new material properties and components which can’t be made using other additive or traditional manufacturing processes. Fortify was recently recognized as one of the Bostonian companies on Fire by Boston Business Journal and featured in Forbes. To learn more about Fortify visit, www.3DFortify.com.
Summary of Position
We are building a world-class Applications team to solve high-value, industry-wide problems that fully leverage Fortify’s unique manufacturing platform. We are seeking a Senior RF Applications Engineer with an extensive background in passive mmWave/RF devices or system integration and a track record of carrying designs into production. In this role, you will be providing technical support and leadership for the development and delivery of unique RF devices for enhanced transmission and receive, such as GRIN lenses, impedance-matching substrates, and uniquely shaped solid dielectric antennas that leverage Fortify’s low-loss material palette and manufacturing capabilities. Utilizing their previous RF antenna or front-end system experience as well as design for additive manufacturing principles, the individual will become an expert at fabricating unique RF devices and distilling these learnings to better serve our customers. Working at the interface between our Sales team and our Engineering team, you will solve a variety of complex customer problems while thriving in a sales environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Educate customers on the capabilities of a unique 3D printing technology to ensure they understand the benefits to their mission, products, or programs
- Provide design for additive manufacturing support to customers for integrating Fortify technology into their products
- Participate in the design novel 3D printed, low loss devices and components, such as antennas and lenses, that leverage Fortify’s unique manufacturing capabilities and software platform
- Work in software such as CST and HFSS, as well as internal Fortify software, to design, model, and optimize highly integrated antenna assemblies.
- Marry traditional RF design principles with the freedom of geometry afforded by additive to create novel structures and designs that provide unique RF function that meet and exceed our customer’s requirements and expectations
- Provide feedback to our Product and Engineering teams and materials partners for improving and developing new product(s) to better serve the RF industry
- Generate documentation (reports, benchmarking studies, technical marketing briefs) and present at speaking opportunities such as conferences and on webinars
- Work collaboratively with Fortify’s internal additive manufacturing experts to create demonstrators and prototypes for our customers
- Mastery of RF test parameters and translation of test data to attributes in a device or antenna system, including reflection, through power, phase, and gain.
- Direct RF device testing experience, including comfort with network analyzers and near- and far-field antenna measurements.
- High comfort level with materials and material attributes used in antenna systems and their impact, both electrical and mechanical, such as permittivity, permeability, loss tangents, CTE, glass transition
- Strong familiarity with the current industry standards in low loss RF materials from the leading vendors of both resin-based and Teflon-based low loss materials
- MS or PhD Electrical Engineer, Physics, or other related field
- 5+ years of RF passive component or system design experience including radar or communications devices
- Familiarity RF design and simulation software such as HFSS and CST
- RF PCB processing familiarity, from either a board shop, material supplier, or design order fulfillment standpoint
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills; strong listener who also exhibits empathy
- Local or hybrid is preferred.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%