Staff Power System Engineer
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
We are searching for a Staff Power System Engineer to develop connection specifications between the Electric Hydrogen power system and medium voltage utility grid. You will be comprised of managing all aspects of electrical installation design (combination of 3rd party EPC design review and performing internal design) conducting power systems analysis using modeling and simulation software programs to evaluate real-world system characteristics such as load and power flows, short circuit analysis, transient stability, stability with active linear loads (such as active power factors) and other operational characteristics.
You will work onsite in San Jose, CA and report into the Director, Power Platform.
Role and Responsibilities
- Research, analyze, develop, and design electrical/electronic systems, components, equipment, and networks as well as their control and optimization.
- Manage and evaluate electrical designs (including utility interconnection, medium voltage AC collection systems, high current rectifier DC bussing, and microgrid design) and system integration plans.
- Perform electrical studies (load flow, short circuit, protection coordination, arc flash, harmonic load flow/frequency scan, etc)
- Select components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability.
- Analyze systems and equipment to prove operating data and evaluate performance.
- Design and develop new techniques and methodologies for control and integration of diverse energy resources and points of consumption.
- Use risk-analysis techniques to evaluate the likelihood and consequence of power system disruptions and risk mitigation measures associated with power system failure modes.
- Mentor or lead other engineers on medium sized projects.
- Evaluate safety risks/mitigations in O&M context (e.g., short circuit, LV/MV coordination, arc flash)
- BS degree in electrical engineering or related field
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience with electrical power systems
- EPC design experience with large industrial power (petrochemical, oil & gas, etc) and generation design (wind/solar medium voltage collection)
- Experience with power system protection analysis and implementation
- Experience with medium voltage and substation design, SCADA design.
- Field experience with power generation (microgrids, energy storage, engines/turbines, renewables, etc.), distribution systems, and operational experience with electric utilities
- Professional Engineer license preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to run analysis and projects unassisted.
- Outgoing, initiative-taking, and have a positive attitude; enjoy working in a dynamic and fast-paced start-up environment.
Comfortable working with all levels and functions to achieve organizational goals.
Compensation and Benefits | [San Jose Zone] P5
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!