Director, Mechanical Design Engineering, Fluid Systems
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
In this role, you will build and lead the team responsible for the mechanical design of the fluid and thermal systems for our products. These utility-scale systems are the most expensive component of our products, and the development of relentlessly optimized designs is a critical step in enabling the decarbonization of the hydrogen industry. In this role, you will lead the team carrying these first-of-their-kind designs from initial concept through to implementation at massive scale.
You will split time between our offices in San Jose and San Carlos, CA with an allowable hybrid work schedule. Depending on the phase of the project, up to 20% of your time might be best spent at vendors’ sites or on project sites. You will report directly into the VP of Product Engineering.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the mechanical design of the fluid and thermal systems for our products
- Build the team, establish the design practices, develop the engineering processes, and set up the engineering tools required to take designs through the full lifecycle from requirements gathering and blue-sky concepting into implementation at massive scale
- Bring together materials, components, and ideas for a range of industries to create novel solutions to fluid system design problems
- Partner with process engineers to develop process flow diagrams and piping & instrumentation diagrams and to translate process design into mechanical design
- Explore design solution spaces broadly and deeply through the establishment of figures of merit and through a detailed understanding of cost structures
- Lead the team as a highly technical design architect as well as a deeply experienced design engineer
- Collaborate with teams throughout the company including stack engineering, power systems engineering, product management as well as with outside contractors and consultants
- Bring or build expertise in relevant codes and standards including ANSI 22734 (Hydrogen Generators Using Water Electrolysis)
- Multiple full product development cycles on complex products, working as the responsible engineer taking designs from requirement definition through implementation
- Experience hiring and managing engineers and leading high functioning engineering teams through the design of complex products
- Ability to establish optimal engineering processes and implement efficient engineering tools (3D CAD, Product Lifecycle Management, Design Development Process, Bills of Materials)
- Track record of highly optimized designs and world class design outcomes
- Extensive experience exploring potential design solution spaces both broadly and deeply to find globally optimal solutions
Compensation & Benefits | [San Carlos Zone] Director, Mechanical Design Engineering (M5)
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!