Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, Fluid Systems
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
In this role, you will design the fluid and thermal process equipment that enables the decarbonization of the hydrogen industry. By applying your creativity and a strong understanding of process equipment design codes and best practices you will carry your designs through the full lifecycle from initial concept through implementation at massive scale. You will split time between our offices in San Jose and San Carlos, CA with an allowable hybrid work schedule. Depending on the phase of the project, up to 20% of your time might be best spent at vendors’ sites or on project sites.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design novel, industrial scale process equipment which includes integrated piping, structure, electrical and control systems
- Evaluate piping and instrumentation diagrams provided by process engineering collaborators and propose optimizations based on mechanical design considerations
- Explore design solution spaces broadly and deeply through the analysis of figures of merit and a detailed understanding of cost structures
- Create mechanical drawings and system specifications
- Collaborate with teams throughout the company including stack engineering, power systems engineering, product management as well as with outside contractors and consultants
- Review and approve Pipe Weld Specifications and Welder Qualification (WPS, WPQR)
- Develop models to analyze stress, fluid, and thermal performance to optimize designs
- Select off-the-shelf components
- Generate and manage bills of materials
- Release products for manufacturing and supporting volume scale up by performing first article inspections and first factory acceptance tests
- Up to 20% travel to contractor, vendor and customer sites depending on project phase
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- 8+ years mechanical engineering experience
- Expertise in mechanical design with experience designing fluid systems, process equipment and skids
- Expert CAD user with deep experience developing bills of materials and using product lifecycle management software
- Deep knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, Modular Assembly, and Plant Maintenance
- Extensive experience taking products from concept through manufacturing
- Experience with ASME B31.3, 31.12, BPVC, and other process industry codes and standards
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS | [San Carlos Zone] Senior Mechanical Engineer (P4)
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!