Senior Mechanical Engineer - Power Systems
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
We are looking for a strong Senior Mechanical Engineer - Power Systems to work on new power electronics product development. You will design new solutions to support the generation of green hydrogen and execute from prototype to production.
You will be based in San Jose, CA, and will report to our Mechanical Engineering Manager, Power Electronics.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Work on design and analysis of mechanical aspects of a high power electronic product for hydrogen electrolysis. This includes:
- Lead the mechanical site layout of power systems ranging from prototype- scale to full-scale plants
- Lead detailed mechanical design of power bussing and bus interfaces for DC output
- Direct Electric Hydrogen’s power systems equipment suppliers and manage supplier relationships’ technical and commercial aspects, with support from supply chain team.
- Lead the power system’s high-level design and architecture together with power systems electrical engineers.
- Collaborate with systems optimization and modeling team to study power system and plant cost tradeoffs and architecture decisions.
- Build electromechanical interface drawings, system diagrams, design reviews, and other internal and external documentation related to this scope of work
- Be a systems thinker and work across departments, teams, domestic/international offices, and levels of seniority to define interfaces, requirements, and specifications.
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of sheet metal, extrusion and welding
- Mechanical design, Tolerance analysis, structures
- Familiar with Structural design and FEA software to solve stress and deflection condition
- Familiar with NEC, NFPA and ASHRAE
- Proficient in 3D modeling and CAD drawings -Familiar with outdoor rated electronics packaging, corrosion
- Supplier management
- Spec’ing equipment
- Familiarity with dry-type and liquid-filled transformers, medium voltage breakers, fuses, and switches
- Kiloamp-level AC and DC bussing systems; bus bars and underground conduit conductors cost modeling
- Masters in Mechanical Engineering plus 5yrs relevant, or BS plus 8yrs relevant experience
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in low and medium volume production
- Identifies issues and creates solutions
- Working knowledge of scripting (MATLAB, Python) or other data analysis tools
- Basic knowledge of electric fundamentals
- Startup experience preferred
Compensation & Benefits
Senior Mechanical Engineer (P4):
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!