Software Engineer - Integrations
Posted on Thursday, December 2, 2021
Are you interested in building the technical foundation of the worldwide transition to clean energy?
Voltus seeks to transform a diverse network of distributed energy resources (DERs) into reliable and responsive virtual power plants in wholesale energy markets. DERs can be anything behind an electric meter: demand response, batteries, micro-grids, residential solar, EV bus fleets, smart thermostats, and more.
The Integrations team sits at the heart of Voltus as a business, and directly applies software engineering to climate change. We build and maintain the core software functionalities that allow Voltus to interact with the world of energy—DERs, wholesale markets, utilities, and more. We tend to approach our work from a systems engineering perspective, and emphasize high reliability, thoughtful abstractions, and root-cause solutions.
This is an opportunity to do complex, interesting, and impactful work with a team of empathetic human beings. If you’re a holistic problem solver who likes to think in terms of systems, we’d love to hear from you.
Examples of the many things you can work on here:
- Improve our highly reliable, real-time distributed system for responding to grid emergencies and ensuring grid stability
- Design and implement data models and abstractions to simplify the complexities of the electricity grid, for Voltans and customers
- Help figure out a way to better manage our growing portfolios of heterogeneous energy resources
- Work on our public-facing developer APIs and help us develop open source code and standards
- Advocate for regulatory changes in the energy industry from a technical standpoint
- Collaborate with external partners, including networking partners, SaaS providers, and organizations in the energy industry
- Contribute to the engineering roadmap, vision, and goals
- Develop technical strategies for dealing with new products, international expansions, and DER types
- Create and update internal documentation
- Provide mentorship and leadership to more junior team members
Skills We Are Looking For:
- Minimum 3-4 years software engineering experience, ideally with distributed systems
- Ideally having experience building production systems with Go, Python, Postgres, Kafka, Redis, AWS, Nomad, Docker
- Ability to manage one’s own time
- Strong written and spoken communication—especially important on a remote team
- Willingness to be on-call about one week per quarter
What's important to us in a candidate:
- Awareness, empathy, intentionality, curiosity
- Desire to be part of an open, collaborative, and psychologically-safe engineering culture
- Actually care about other human beings
- Wants to learn more about the energy industry and complex distributed systems
- Engages with the world both personally and systemically
Our mission is to be the Distributed Energy Platform that fulfills the promise of the energy transition. The Voltus platform connects any distributed energy resource (DER) to any energy market across the US and Canada, providing flexibility, reliability, and resilience to the grid while generating revenue for our partners. By partnering with industry leaders and the DER ecosystem, we are building the decarbonized, distributed, decentralized, and digitized energy system of the future.
Voltus is a remote and virtual company, distributed across US, Canada, and abroad with many team members in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and other cities.
At Voltus, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer because we recognize that a diverse organization begins with a diverse candidate pool. This means we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind and are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender identity, race, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or marital status.
See more open positions at Voltus
Something looks off?