Senior Software Backend Engineer - Asset Foundations
Posted on Friday, November 3, 2023
Voltus’ mission is to be the Distributed Energy Platform that fulfills the promise of the energy transition. The Voltus platform connects any distributed energy resource (DER) to any energy market across the US and Canada, providing flexibility, reliability, and resilience to the grid while generating revenue for our partners. By partnering with industry leaders and the DER ecosystem, we are building the decarbonized, distributed, decentralized, and digitized energy system of the future.
Voltus is a remote and virtual company, distributed across US, Canada, and abroad with many team members in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and other cities.
This role can be based in the US, Canada or remote locations.
Candidate working hours should overlap with Eastern Standard Time.
About the Role
The Asset Foundation team is responsible for building systems that represent and model our client’s assets and expose those systems to internal and external stakeholders.
You’ll work closely with our Product team to define and scope projects, and you’ll work closely with our frontend engineers and designers to make our applications come to life.
You’re interested in diving into the detailed world of the energy industry and would jump at the opportunity to.
You are bright, gritty, and good, and you want to work with others like you.
What you’ll do
- Build reliable and scalable distributed applications written in Go and/or Python.
- Work collaboratively with the Product team and other engineers to scope project requirements and create technical specifications.
- Define and build abstractions and data models to convert our energy-specific data models into data that customers can understand and act on.
- Mentor junior engineers and provide feedback and guidance on technical work.
- Contribute to shared tooling and infrastructure.
- Increase the health and maintainability of our codebase.
What's Important to Us
- Self initiated and curious, someone who is always looking for ways to improve our applications and infrastructure.
- Can work independently and thoughtfully allocate time among projects.
- Communicates well with others, especially important in a remote team.
- Interested in building positive and welcoming engineering culture.
- Cares about the environmental impact of reduced energy use.
- Interested in learning more about the energy industry.
- Experience working in an agile, team environment
Skills We're Looking For
- Experience building production systems in GO, Python or a similar high level language.
- Experience modeling complex data in RDBMS (we use Postgres).
- Familiar with micro-service architecture, including service to service communications and streaming platforms like Kafka.
- Familiarity with Docker and an orchestration system like Nomad.
- Experience building for SPA’s (Single Page Applications - ours is written in React).
We are a distributed, friendly team. If you are excited to use your skills to make the green energy economy stronger and better, we invite you to apply! At Voltus, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer because we recognize that a diverse organization begins with a diverse candidate pool. This means we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind and are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender identity, race, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or marital status.