Contract Assembly Technician, March 1 - May 31
Recently included in Time's Best Inventions & Fast Company's World Changing Ideas, unspun aims to rapidly transition the trillion-dollar apparel world into one that is more intentional, inclusive, and efficient by focusing on the overlap between sustainability and profitability— on-demand (and automated) manufacturing.
What We're Building
We’ve developed a proprietary and patented technology at the crossroads of 3D printing and automated textile manufacturing called 3D weaving. By skipping the flat 2D fabric stage, we can additively build custom apparel products from the ground up— straight from yarns to seamless final product. If climate tech, robotics, fashion, and massive build projects get you excited, we’d love to talk!
You enjoy working on early-stage teams and have experience in assembly or manufacturing technician work. You thrive on the lack of clear instructions at the beginning of ambitious projects, and your ability to learn, understand, and communicate clear instructions to others about a complicated process is one of your strengths.
As part of the early technician team at unspun (growing from 4 to 8 teammates), you will be a core member building the mechanical systems for a completely new manufacturing process. We’re looking for someone with industry experience as a hands-on technician in an assembly or mechanical environment already, and someone who is excited about the challenges of early-stage hardware development.
What You’ll Do
- Assemble and test complex mechanical assemblies according to engineering drawings and work instructions
- (the next 3 months are a big build push for us!)
- Troubleshoot and resolve assembly-related issues
- (we're building some things for the first time... troubleshooting & improving the process will be a core part of your work with us)
- Maintain a safe and organized workspace
- (we're still an early team, but we're certainly growing— keeping things organized while we build is critical)
- Perform simple fabrication and parts modification
- (ideally all parts show up perfect... but you know how that goes)
- Identify and communicate suggested improvements to designs, documentation, or processes
- (pretty soon, we'll need a factory to be building LOTS of these machines... can you help us figure out the best way to perform each step?)
- Work collaboratively on a team of technicians juggling multiple build projects
- (our technician team is close-knit, and covers projects across assembly, R&D, and machine operation... there's a lot going on!)
We won’t roll our eyes if your socks don’t match. We get it. But then, if you spend those extra few minutes in the morning matching your socks and shirt, we get that too. Our workspaces are sometimes spotless and sometimes chaotic, and we celebrate messy exploration. We work through complex problems but generate simple and elegant solutions. We strive to look at things differently, and never do anything solely because “that’s the way it’s always been done.”
We’re a team of designers and engineers, industry-veterans and serial entrepreneurs, artists and developers. We’re aspiring chess masters and climbers, bakers and photographers. Originally spun out of Stanford and the University of Colorado, we now call the SF Bay Area home, with strong ties to Hong Kong. We are looking for teammates who share our desire to work on ambitious problems, find deep meaning in their work, and leave the world better than we found it.
unspun is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.