We are looking for a passionate Textile Technician to join our team. As a critical member of our Product and Hardware teams, your primary responsibility will be to help support our 3D weaving machine operations. We're looking for someone with experience in machine operations and fabric development, who is excited about the risks and rewards of joining a Series A-funded startup.
unspun is a robotics and digital apparel company building custom jeans for each consumer, on-demand. Our mission is to reduce global carbon emissions by 1% through automated, localized, and intentional manufacturing.
Included in Time's Best Inventions & Fast Company's World Changing Ideas, unspun aims to rapidly transition the trillion-dollar apparel world into one that is more intentional, inclusive, and efficient by focusing on the overlap between sustainability and profitability.
What we're building
We’ve developed a proprietary and patent-pending technology at the crossroads of 3D printing and automated textile manufacturing. By skipping the flat 2D fabric stage, we can additively build custom apparel products from the ground up- straight from yarn to final product. If additive manufacturing, industrial automation, and synchronized systems of hundreds of sensors & actuators gets you excited, we’d love to talk!
You enjoy working on fast-paced and early-stage R&D and bringing high quality products to market. You enjoy wearing multiple hats and switching between different contexts. You are capable of working independently and in a team while being flexible, self-motivated, and curious. You have strong interpersonal skills and can help manage a complex testing program with competing needs from multiple sides of the organization. You are energized by working on big complex problems within an evolving R&D environment. You probably love thinking about the things immediately around us, especially yarns, fabrics, clothing and the machines that make them. You enjoy daily challenges and relish the successes.
What You’ll Do
- Support 3D weaving material development and production. You’ll work with the Product and Hardware teams to create the world’s first 3D woven products.
- Operate and maintain revolutionary robotic loom
- Produce new woven outputs and coordinate product runs
- Ensure product outputs meet desired specifications and quality control standards
- Maintain a safe and organized workspace
- Help identify limitations of technical approaches and provide insights about machine performance and reliability
- Work with the hardware team to test new machine subsystems
- Support machine and subsystem assembly as needed
- Create and maintain documentation for internal communication and record keeping, including data collection during product runs and machine testing
- Be able to work on your feet and be comfortable working within a large machine for extended periods and perform occasional repetitive tasks
We won’t roll our eyes if your socks don’t match. We get it. But then, if you spend those extra few minutes in the morning matching your socks and shirt, we get that too. Our workspaces are sometimes spotless and sometimes chaotic, and we celebrate messy exploration. We work through complex problems but generate simple and elegant solutions. We strive to look at things differently, and never do anything solely because “that’s the way it’s always been done.”
We’re a team of designers and engineers, industry-veterans and serial entrepreneurs, artists and developers. We’re aspiring chess masters and climbers, bakers and photographers. Originally spun out of Stanford and the University of Colorado, we now call the SF Bay Area home, with strong ties to Hong Kong. We are looking for teammates who share our desire to work on ambitious problems and leave the world better than we found it.
unspun is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience in Textiles, Design, Textile Engineering, Materials Science, or related fields
- Some hands-on experience with fabric production and/or development
- Knowledge of textile fibers and yarns
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience and comfort working with machinery and robotics
- Interested in testing and debugging
- Open to working on-site in San Francisco, CA and Emeryville, CA
- Familiarity with industrial scale looms
- Energized by new ideas in apparel and product manufacturing. Comfortable in a fast-paced early-stage startup environment.
- Experience working on fast-paced early stage R&D projects
- Automation and robotics experience
- Manufacturing and factory experience
- Familiarity with hardware engineering design and implementation practices
- Familiarity with basic programming concepts
If you don't meet all of the requirements listed above, but can make up for it with a voracious passion to learn how to do so, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- self-regulated vacation policy
- comprehensive (gold & platinum) health/dental/vision insurance (or equivalent cash bonus if already insured)
- company sponsored 401k
- monthly gym membership or relevant online education grant of up to $150/month
- pre-tax commuter benefits
- incentive stock options