Power Electronics Systems Engineer
Kearny, NJ, USA
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2023
About Thea Energy:
Thea Energy is leveraging recent breakthroughs in stellarator physics and engineering to create a faster and simpler approach to commercializing fusion energy. The company is reinventing the stellarator using computer-controlled arrays of planar coils thereby replacing the intricate, complex modular magnets required in all other stellarator architectures. Thea Energy is on a mission to create a limitless source of zero emission energy for a sustainable future.
Thea Energy is actively seeking an experienced and highly motivated power electronics systems engineer to join our rapidly growing team. In this dynamic role, you will collaborate with a cross-functional engineering team to contribute to the development of Thea Energy's cutting-edge planar coil stellarator fusion technologies. As an integral part of our expanding organization, you will play a key role in establishing Thea Energy as a leader in the fusion energy sector. The position offers a high degree of autonomy, requiring an individual to work with agility in a fast-paced environment.
In this role, your primary responsibilities will revolve around overseeing the design, manufacturing, and commissioning of the electrical power conversion system used in Thea Energy's fusion systems. You will take a hands-on approach, managing the specification, procurement, and installation of electrical and power electronics equipment, while actively contributing to the innovation of power conversion solutions. Your duties will extend to ensuring the implementation of effective protection, control, and monitoring interfaces. Additionally, you will serve as a subject matter expert, collaborating seamlessly with other engineering disciplines to enhance the overall design and operation of Thea Energy's fusion systems.
The ideal candidate for this position should bring a minimum of 3 years of experience in developing electrical power conversion systems for both industrial applications and scientific facilities, including expertise in particle accelerators or fusion devices. We seek candidates with a well-rounded background, showcasing proficiency in power conversion equipment, energy storage systems (including supercapacitors and batteries), and control of dynamical systems for electric power conversion. If you are a self-motivated, creative individual excited about solving complex problems, we invite you to be part of our fun and innovative team at Thea Energy.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Design, construct, and operate power supplies and control systems for high-temperature superconducting magnet arrays
- Develop custom electronics, including data acquisition and instrumentation, electrical power systems, power supplies, and control systems
- Create engineering documentation, including electrical drawings, and produce electrical engineering specifications and designs for internal use or external vendor manufacturing
- Develop highly reliable electronics systems capable of operating in high-stress industrial environments, including high magnetic fields, vacuum, and cryogenic temperatures
- Cross-disciplinary collaboration with other engineering teams, such as control systems, magnets, plasma control, diagnostics, cryogenics, etc.
- Utilize data acquisition and analysis during system testing and perform integrated commissioning activities of electrical power systems for prototype systems
- Develop engineering workflows and select and implement appropriate industry standards for use in current prototype systems and future fusion power plants
- Manage external vendors for electronics fabrication and coordinate with vendors for electrical system design, procurement, and commissioning
- Collaborate with other engineering and physics groups to build functional subsystems, track and report results and progress against program goals and milestones
- Communicate and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
Ideal Experience & Skillsets:
- Extensive experience in building and operating custom large-scale electronic systems
- Extensive experience in designing and testing analog and digital circuits, DC power supplies, and switch-mode power converters
- Expertise in power conversion, control of dynamical systems, switching power supply design (IGBT, MOSFET, GaN), instrumentation and control, pulsed power systems, electrical transient analysis, electromagnetic modeling, thermal analysis, and circuit design
- Experience in designing and implementing solutions within industrial equipment, with technical mastery in multiple areas of electrical engineering
- Experience with data acquisition and control systems (e.g. LabVIEW)
- Familiarity with modeling and design software tools such as PLECS, MATLAB/Simulink, ANSYS, and Altium Designer
- Proficiency in digital and analog circuit design
- Ability to analyze and solve highly complex engineering problems
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and as part of a team, execute, and flourish in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Comfort working to aggressive deadlines while displaying an exceptional work ethic
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, an innate desire to learn, innovate, and critique ideas, including one's own
- At least a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in electrical engineering or related fields
- 3+ years' experience with electrical power system development for industrial applications or scientific facilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to conduct design reviews, and organize/present material to both expert and non-technical audiences
- Expertise in power conversion, control of dynamical systems, switching power supply design, instrumentation and control, pulsed power systems, electrical transient analysis, electromagnetic modeling, thermal analysis, and circuit design
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive health benefits (e.g. medical/dental/vision)
- Employee equity stock options
- Open vacation policies
- Work-life balance
It’s not necessary to meet all of the skillsets outlined above. Please feel free to send us a note and tell us why you would still be a great fit for this role or Thea Energy.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Thea Energy is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a company of diverse backgrounds. By creating a diverse environment, we will bring new ideas and approaches to solving some of the world’s hardest (and most important) problems. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, family or marital status, age, disability, veteran’s status, or other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.