Flight Operations Manager
Pyka is looking for a flight operations manager to support the development and commercialization of its advanced autonomous aircraft. You will be responsible for overseeing successful operation of our autonomous crop spraying aircraft with launch customers in Latin America–ensuring that each operating location is staffed and supplied to meet the company’s high level objectives in the region, and maintaining communications with launch customers to ensure their needs are being met.
You will manage a team of deployed flight test engineers and operators, and will be responsible for putting in place the systems required for us to scale to dozens of operating aircraft in the next two years.
Pyka’s goal is to provide society with a new form of fast, environmentally friendly, and accessible transportation enabled by autonomous electric aviation.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We're applying our technologies to every industry where electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we're building useful, game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
Today, we supply our aircraft to agricultural service providers and farmers as an autonomous tool that makes aerial crop protection safer, more targeted and less harmful to surrounding environments. Our vehicles are highly economical to operate and easy to deploy. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one-step closer each day.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, and expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will have a great deal of responsibility, earn a competitive salary and benefits, and contribute to the development of groundbreaking technology.
- Set and communicate goals and priorities to operations personnel deployed abroad
- Maintain communication with launch customers and operating partners abroad
- Manage deployed flight test operators and their schedules
- Manage training and currency requirements for Pyka personnel and operators from our launch customers
- Manage complex logistics in support of flight operations, including inventory tracking and configuration control of the fleet
- Travel to and participate in international commercial deployments (Central America, South America to start) to support flight operations
- Identify organizational needs and develop processes/initiatives accordingly
- Experience managing operations of a fleet of robotic systems in the R&D stage
- Experience operating autonomous and/or flying vehicles
- Experience with mechanical and electrical systems, assembly, and troubleshooting
- Experience managing operational teams remotely and in person
- Proficient in Spanish
- Knowledge of aircraft systems and manuals
- Independent and motivated, with an extremely strong work ethic; able to self-direct and manage time
- Comfortable working in a busy and rapidly changing environment—propensity to bring order to chaos
- Extreme attention to detail and thoroughness
- Willingness to travel in foreign countries (approximately ¼ time)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- $110,000–$150,000 per year base salary + equity. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Salary ranges are subject to change.
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid time off, company holidays, and parental leave
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
Export Control Requirements
This position requires access to technology, software and other information that is subject to governmental access control restrictions, due to export controls. Employment in this position is conditioned on the continued availability of government authorization to authorize release of such items, to the extent required, including without limitation an export license, or other documentation required to establish authorization to receive access to such items.
Company may delay commencement of employment, rescind an offer of employment, terminate employment, and/or may modify job responsibilities, compensation, benefits, and/or access to Company facilities and information systems, as Company deems appropriate, in order to ensure compliance with applicable government access control restrictions.
We do not work with external recruiters; if you are an external recruiter, please do not reach out.