Berkeley, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2021
polySpectra is an advanced materials company with the mission to transform 3D printers from a prototyping aid into a viable manufacturing technology. We see a world where every designer, inventor, and engineer can quickly and affordably make their ideas real with digital manufacturing. polySpectra has developed best-in-class polymers that enable rapid additive manufacturing of production parts across many verticals - including medical, aerospace, automotive, and consumer products.
polySpectra is looking for a lab manager to improve our operations as we grow. The lab manager will lead on workplace safety and operational stability. There will be many opportunities to develop new systems, procedures, equipment, and infrastructure that will support the technical team. The ideal candidate for this position is someone whose mindset focuses on proactively facilitating an orderly, enjoyable, and safe environment to that allow our team to get stuff done. A passion for safety, order, removing barriers and inspiring others to similarly prioritize is a must. This position is full-time, based in Berkeley, CA.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Enforce safety procedures and drive continuous improvements in workplace safety, including leading safety committee meetings and internal audits
- Manage supplies of chemicals, gases, and laboratory supplies
- Assist in creating safety policies and standard protocols
- Oversee and schedule hazardous waste pickup
- Maintain laboratory equipment, including instrument calibrations
- Maintain and improve lab organization
- Assist in lab and equipment design and infrastructure upgrades and expansions
- Support incoming quality control testing and track chemical inventory
- Liaise with facility manager
- Ensure that staff are onboarded with compliance, safety and other required training
- Communicate effectively with teammates
- Follow all company policies and procedures
- Leadership experience in chemical and/or laboratory safety
- Bachelors Degree in a Science or Engineering field
- Experience working in chemistry, biology, engineering, medical or dental laboratories
- Excellent record-keeping and communication skills, ability to juggle multiple tasks effectively
- Enthusiasm for learning, solving problems, and working in a team environment
Preferred Prior Experience
- Previous lab manager experience
- Experience with Quality Control
- Experience designing systems (e.g. for inventorying)
polySpectra is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). It is our policy to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity in our workforce and recognize that inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.