Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is seeking an experienced corporate communications professional to join the Communications team. This person will help build our growing brand and work to establish Planet as the leading Earth data platform and business with both national and international press. They will also lead media communications related to significant business milestones and company achievements, as well as develop creative strategies and campaigns to show the value of Planet’s products to key media and vertical markets. As a key member on the Communications team, this person will support both proactive and reactive priorities for our business objectives.
The successful candidate will be results driven, a strategic thinker, and love to brainstorm creative ideas to solve problems. They will have a deep understanding of newscycles and media dynamics with multiple examples of successful media campaigns they’ve run. An excellent writer with a track record of using good judgment to make tough calls on deadline is a must-have.
This role reports to the Vice President of Corporate Communications, is an individual contributor and can be based in New York City or Washington DC regions, or within commute distance to London, UK.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Work with the communications team to build and implement communications plans and strategies to raise awareness for Planet with key audiences, including top tier media, customers, investors, employees, and more.
- Co-develop and execute dynamic communications campaigns that help new audiences understand Planet’s vision, business, technology, and value
- Interface with leadership team to prepare for media interviews and public appearances
- Partner with go-to-market teams to align messaging to broader corporate narrative
- Manage and build media relationships with top tier and vertical press
- Support the global organization and its regional offices and customers through storytelling including but not limited to APJ, LatAm, Planet Federal, and EMEA.
- Track press coverage and engage with press to inform narratives and correct stories
What You Bring:
- Proven media relations strategist and practitioner with “tier one” and business media relations experience
- Excellent writer with experience selling ideas through internal and external communications
- Ability to grasp and translate complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Mission driven and a team player
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to lead multiple projects in a dynamic environment.
- Self-starter, problem-solver, and critical thinker
- 5+ years relevant communications experience
- Bachelor's degree
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $97,600 - $160,500. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (commission, bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please call Planet's front office at (415)-829-3313 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.