Software Engineer, Machine Learning Infrastructure
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
We are looking for talented software engineers to help us build our next-generation infrastructure to train, evaluate, and deploy ML models at scale. You will be part of the Forest Ecosystems engineering team, which is on a mission to map, measure, and monitor the world’s forests using high resolution satellite imagery. We convert satellite imagery into quantifiable metrics like tree height and aboveground carbon using spatially-explicit deep learning models. We are continuously improving our models by expanding and curating our datasets, experimenting with different data sources (including optical, SAR, and LiDAR), and experimenting with bleeding-edge model architectures. You will help us design, build, and scale our model training and evaluation infrastructure, and deploy model inference on imagery across the world. We are a small and growing team, with a highly collaborative culture, distributed remotely across USA and Canada.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Design and build scalable and reliable infrastructure to support model training efforts
- Design data schemas and storage patterns for geospatial training data, leveraging open source technologies where possible
- Optimize model training and inference performance for large datasets
- Develop and implement automated testing and monitoring frameworks to ensure the reliability of deployed models
What You Bring:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Solid understanding of fundamentals in statistics and deep learning
- 4+ years of professional experience in software engineering, with a focus on machine learning infrastructure
- Proficiency with Python
- Proficiency with software engineering best practices such as version control, testing and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Experience with containerization and container orchestration tools like Docker, Kubernetes, and KubeFlow
- Experience with accelerated and distributed model training
- Experience implementing model versioning, monitoring and observability systems
- Excellent technical communication and documentation skills
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience in remote sensing data, particularly optical and LiDAR data
- Fluency with geospatial technologies in Python (e.g. GDAL, rasterio, shapely, etc)
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Something looks off?