Geospatial Software Engineer, Forest Ecosystems
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
We are looking for a talented geospatial SWE to join the Forest Ecosystems engineering team. We are on a mission to map, measure, and monitor the world’s forests using high resolution satellite imagery. Our team works with multi-sensor earth observations data, developing workflows that integrate measurements from Planet’s unique constellation with public data sources, including multispectral, LiDAR, and SAR data. We are building a data pipeline that transforms this firehose of imagery into high-quality maps of forest variables, like aboveground carbon density. This includes image calibration and normalization, coregistration, composition into higher level imagery assets (like mosaics), and running machine learning model inference at scale. As one of the first dedicated geospatial engineers on the team, you will take a leading role in pipeline and infrastructure design. We are a small and growing team, with a highly collaborative culture, distributed remotely across USA and Canada.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Design and develop scalable data pipelines to perform numerical transformations of satellite scenes, including the deployment of ML models
- Implement new image processing algorithms as scalable production code in Python
- Develop monitoring methods to ensure pipeline observability and reliability
- Collaborate with other engineers, scientists and product managers to build systems according to our roadmap, with a product-focused mindset
What You Bring:
- Solid understanding of fundamentals in remote sensing and statistics
- 3+ years of professional experience writing software to manipulate geospatial data
- Extensive knowledge of open-source GIS tools
- Experience writing production code in Python
- Knowledge of how to scale code with cloud computing resources (e.g. AWS or GCP)
- Experience leveraging scientific computing using Python in a Unix/Linux environment
- Excellent technical communication and documentation skills
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience maintaining ML models in production
- Experience working with satellite or airborne earth observations data
- Experience or education in forest ecology, environmental science or forestry
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Something looks off?