Sr. RF Engineer
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is working on the next generation small satellite bus that will host a high resolution optical imaging payload (Pelican) and a hyperspectral payload (Carbon Mapper). Planet has continuously iterated and developed small spacecraft communication systems including board level hardware, antennas, and ground station equipment that produce record data rates. Our system consists of transceivers in several bands, as well as a worldwide network of ground stations. We are seeking a seasoned RF and communication engineer to develop our next-generation onboard and ground radios and antenna systems that pushes the frontiers of satellite communications. You will make evolutionary and revolutionary improvements in their performance, reliability and cost, including the design of next-generation S-band through Ka-band radios and a variety of antennas as well as work with vendors on various design projects. You will be responsible for PCB layout projects and interfacing with mechanical engineers to address challenging packaging and thermal issues. You will conduct environmental and EMC testing on communication subsystems and get them ready for flight. You will work closely with systems engineering, missions, and manufacturing teams to ensure mission success..
Impact You’ll Own:
- RF hardware circuit design, simulation (Spice, ADS), and instrumentation and testing
- RF system design, link budgets, and interference analysis
- EMI testing and mitigation
- Antenna design, simulation and testing (ADS, HFSS)
- Digital communications theory and associated signal processing algorithms for both narrowband and wideband data transmission systems
- Software Defined Radio (SDR) platforms and respective signal processing libraries (ex.: GNURadio)
- Validation and Verification of radios and antennas pre-shipment and validation of radio performance on orbit after satellite launch.
What You Bring:
- 10+ years of engineering experience designing and maturing RF/antennas/SDRs to market, ability to review low-level design decisions and understand their impact to the larger system/mission
- Strong fundamentals in RF/microwave, electromagnetics, and signal processing
- Proven ability to support and criticize RF layout, RF circuit design and component selection
- Strong knowledge of digital communications theory and associated signal processing algorithms for both narrowband and wideband data transmission systems
- Proven ability to adapt and learn a multitude of skills in order to develop/contribute to the design of a complex system including but not limited to active RF circuits, transceivers, mixers, switches, RF amplifiers, oscillators, detectors, filters, and other building blocks for space and ground station applications.
- BSEE is required, MS/PhD preferred
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with Altium or similar EDA tools, high-density PCB design, high speed clock trees.
- Experience in Linux, Python, and data analysis
- Excited by working in an agile, fast-paced environment, even in times of uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Strong understanding of cross-team dependencies including mechanical, thermal, structural, and space environmental effects
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $164,600 - $270,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.