Agronomy Intern - Iowa
About Pivot Bio:
Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the soil microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in agriculture. Our first commercial product harnesses the power of naturally-occurring microbes to provide nutrients to crops. We are dedicated to providing new sustainable ways for farmers to improve yield as they work to help feed the world’s growing population. Read/Hear more about Pivot Bio on Forbes or PBS News Hour.
Position: Agronomy Intern; Preferred location: Ames, IA
Summer Internship May - August 2024
The Product and Technology Validation team needs immediate help to evaluate and implement new products and technologies by collecting and processing digital data and imagery, establishing key field protocols, and taking field samples for critical data related to product advancement.
In this role, an intern will:
- Support technology development teams by assisting with digital and physical sample collection and processing
- Operate automated/semi automated devices such as UAV/UGV technologies to capture digital imagery
- Assist with the implementation of product research trial protocols in designated geographies
• Scout assigned fields/trials throughout the year for any stress, pests, or other field issues
• Monitor work for accuracy, manage multiple responsibilities, and maintain professionalism
• Support the field trial team with weekly field observations and updates as required
• Utilize drone, imagery, and other forms of remote sensing software to evaluate field trials
• Visit and conduct QA/QC inspection of 3rd party and university trials in designated territory
- Develop a field-based learning project and present project objective and results upon completion of internship
- Other duties as assigned
- Routinely walking, scouting, sampling, and working in corn research fields/plots with varying summer elements
- Regular, potentially weekly travel driving between sites and other locations as needed for project plans
- Regularly lifting objects (up to 60lbs)
Qualifications and Experience:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or higher degree in Agronomy, Crop Sciences, Soil Science, Precision Agriculture and/or related field
- Valid driver’s license with a safe driving record
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Ability to self-manage time and execute on assigned responsibilities
- Must live in assigned territory
- Must be at least 20 years old for rental car purposes.
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions, i.e., heat, humidity, rain, cold, etc. for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces.
- Must be able to drive or ride in a vehicle for long periods of time.
- Seasonally the workday may be expanded to allow for tasks to be completed.
- Aptitude or willingness to learn new software and data processing systems
- Exposure to dust and pollen likely
What we offer:
- Opportunity to gain professional experience in a progressive company
- Exciting opportunity to work with a talented and fun team