Manager Downstream Process Development
About Pivot Bio:
Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the soil microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in agriculture. Our products harness the power of naturally occurring microbes to provide nutrients to crops and new sustainable ways for farmers to reduce the usage of synthetic fertilizers as they work to help feed the world’s growing population.
Position: Department Manager Downstream Process Development
Location: Berkeley, CA with occasional travel to other Pivot Bio or CMO sites. This is an onsite role with the possibility of remote work 1-2 days per week.
Pivot Bio seeks an experienced Department Manager to lead our Downstream Process Development team. The team works closely with the Fermentation Development, Manufacturing, and Application Development teams. The team has ~10 FTE’s. Reporting to the Vice President of Microbial Fermentation & Downstream Process Development, this leader will be responsible for development of the formulations and downstream bioprocesses for a diverse range of live Gram-negative nitrogen fixating bacteria. This role calls for an accomplished downstream development leader who is innovative and has an enthusiastic attitude towards new ideas. You are talented, proactive, and independent, but with a team-oriented focus.
- Set department and employee goals, priorities, and initiatives based on strategic fit, scientific rationale, and financial return on investment.
- Execute on company strategy and department OKRs by leading the technical competencies, resourcing, capacity, and people management in close collaboration with other departments in product innovation.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously in collaboration with the technical project leads and the project office teams.
- Devise and implement improvements in Pivot Bio’s product development pipeline in collaboration with other Department Leads and Technical Project Leads.
- Able to delegate authority to your employees and hold them accountable for agreed goals and targets.
- Responsible for development of high throughput screening, bench scale product prototype evaluation, and scale-up of downstream processes for preserving live microorganisms.
- Critically evaluate and implement new separation and drying technologies and methods for plate and bench scale downstream models, and relevant software tools.
- Participate in the development of Pivot Bio data platform for automated data processing with software, lab automation, and data science teams.
- Develop a culture of lab ownership, focusing on optimal workflows, safety, and quality.
- Implement and manage an Innovation LEAN culture.
Required Skills and Experience:
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Biochemical Engineering, Biological Systems Engineering, or a related field with expertise in downstream processing of microorganisms including cell separation and drying unit operations.
- At least 5-8 years of relevant industrial experience managing science-based teams with a track record of delivering against goals.
- Track record of developing microbial-based processes of live microorganisms for commercial use, ideally for agricultural applications.
- Ideally a track record for taking products from lab scale to commercial scale manufacturing, including process scale-up, tech transfer and continuous process improvement.
- Built and managed teams with exceptional collaboration and results.
- Tactical experience and strategic flair for implementing new separation and drying technologies and methods for improved cell survival in liquid and dried formulations of relevant microorganisms.
- Experience in development of data platforms for automated data processing with software, automation, and data science teams.
What we offer:
- Competitive package in a disruptive startup
- Stock options
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance with employer-paid premiums
- Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability policies
- Employee Assistance Program with free referrals and discounts
- 401(k) plan, 3% Match
- Commuter benefits
- Annual Training & Development support
- Flexible vacation policy with a generous holiday schedule
- Exciting opportunity to work with a talented and fun team
*Internal employees, please apply by clicking on the Internal Job Board icon on NSIDER