Cell R&D Scientist
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Natron Energy seeks an experienced Scientist with 5+ years of experience in battery development to lead and execute projects related to the design of our next generation Na-ion battery chemistry. As part of Natron Energy’s R&D team, this Scientist will work on site in Santa Clara, CA. Strong candidates will have deep prior experience in tackling multifaceted failure/degradation mechanisms in relevant battery chemistries such as Li-ion cells. This position requires a combination of extensive hands-on lab experimental work, analysis, and modeling in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. The person in this position will apply their preexisting fundamental and theoretical knowledge of the inner workings of complex electrochemical systems while continuously self-educating to enable successful problem solving for new materials systems. He or she is a hard-working, team-work oriented, creative, and self-motivated scientist who has no fear of pushing the boundaries of their intellectual capabilities. Candidates must hold a doctorate degree in electrochemistry, chemical engineering, applied physics, chemistry, or materials science.
- Lead and execute projects that lead to fundamental understanding of Na-ion cell degradation mechanisms and cell designs that mitigate these mechanisms, e.g., through optimized electrolyte formulation, SEI formation, and neutralization of impurities and chemical byproducts.
- Perform electrochemical and multi-faceted analytical characterization of new materials and devices containing them, including testing under accelerated aging conditions and elucidation of battery degradation mechanisms.
- Work with product engineering staff to translate top-down product design requirements into bottom-up materials/chemistry selection and cell designs.
- Identify, source, test, and develop new cell materials and components.
Experience and Skills:
- Required: PhD in chemistry, materials science, applied physics, or a related field.
- Required: 5+ years of prior battery R&D experience in an industrial lab or in an academic setting with demonstrated impact on industrial development.
- A strong track record for leading and executing successful R&D projects by making the discoveries/breakthroughs needed to push electrochemical projects forward.
- Broad knowledge of electrochemistry, including chemistry of SEI formation in Li-ion or Na-ion cells.
- Specific prior experience formulating battery electrolytes to manage intra-cell balancing, corrosion/passivation, SEI formation, gassing, impedance growth, and other chemical mechanisms.
- Strong knowledge of EIS methods and interpretation.
- Experience in multitude of analytical/characterization methods such as SEM/EDX, TEM, XPS, FTIR, NMR, GC-MS etc.
- A working knowledge of statistics techniques and Design of Experiments.
- This is a full time, permanent position.
- Employees must work on site in Santa Clara.
- Compensation is competitive with other Bay Area scientist positions.
- Disclaimer: The actual salary of a successful applicant may vary from posted ranges based on the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, internal equity and alignment with market data, and other legitimate business reasons, including, but not limited to, compliance with applicable immigration law prevailing wages.
- In addition, Natron Energy has a strong benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k Plan with Match, Life Insurance, Parental Leave Benefits, Discretionary Time Off (DTO) and Paid Time Off (PTO) for Exempt and Non-Exempt employees respectively, and 11 paid holidays.
- The salary range for this position is a minimum of $132,500 and a maximum of $179,500.
Natron Energy (natron.energy) is the future of energy storage. Natron Energy’s battery products solve operations performance and reliability problems for the world’s biggest electricity customers. Natron Energy’s initial products target markets exceeding $25B including data centers, oil & gas, EV fast charging, and commercial aviation. Natron Energy has additional products in development for >$50B markets including commercial and residential grid storage. Its products are based on sodium-ion cells containing Prussian blue electrodes that deliver unique power, cycle life, and safety: full discharge and recharge in just minutes and up to 50,000 deep discharge cycles from a nonflammable, fault-tolerant system. Natron Energy’s current production is sold out for the next 12 months. The company has signed over $225M/year in master sales agreements and LOIs, and scale-up to mass production is now underway. Natron Energy has raised over $155M in venture capital investment to date, as well as $35M in non-dilutive funding to support its supply chain scale up.
Unsolicited Resume Policy
Natron Energy, Inc. (“Natron Energy” or the “Company”) does not accept unsolicited resumes from professional recruiters, third-party recruiting or staffing agencies, placement services, or any other source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes, including partial resumes, candidate profiles, and candidate details or information, sent to Natron Energy or its personnel will be treated as public information provided free of any charges or fees.
Natron Energy will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume, unless in connection with a written agreement with the Company then in effect. Such agreement must be pre-approved by Natron Energy and executed by an authorized representative of the Company. Natron Energy specifically rejects, and denies any liability under, any agreement purporting to be accepted based on negative consent, negotiation with a candidate, performance, or any means other than the signature of an authorized representative of the Company.
Natron Energy is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org