Characterization Engineer II
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 2, 2023
Natron Energy’s ability to produce batteries that perform reliably across a variety of customer use cases requires a deep fundamental understanding of the technology. Natron Energy employs a wide range of techniques, including microscopy, spectroscopy, rheology and electrochemical measurements to probe the inner working of our batteries. The Characterization and Analytics team maintains, operates and expands on these characterization tools. With fundamental understanding of the characterization techniques, the team can perform rigorous failure analysis, qualify incoming materials and guide research initiatives. In this way, the Characterization and Analytics team supports Natron Energy as it continues to develop and produce high quality batteries.
Natron Energy seeks a passionate candidate to join our tight-knit, dynamic and rapidly evolving community. As a Characterization Engineer they will play a key role in both the data analysis and decision making of ongoing operations and R&D projects. The battery materials engineer in this role will operate cutting edge instruments on industry established materials as well as experimental samples. The engineer will work to develop robust procedures for new techniques and improve on existing methods. They will work closely with a team of engineers and scientists to solve exciting fundamental scientific questions and will have exposure to many parts of the company: from the active material powders to the finished products. A qualified candidate will have experience collecting and interpreting high quality data and familiarity working with common characterization tools. They will be able to analyze data critically and perform the appropriate statistical analysis. They are detail-oriented, a strong communicator and a quick learner.
- Combine data from multiple characterization tools to establish connections between process parameters and cell performance.
- Improve existing SOP of analytical methods with the aim of decreasing noise and augmenting instrument precision.
- Analyze samples and execute characterization measurements using techniques such as ICP-OES, KF Titration, SEM, EDS, ATR-FTIR, UV-Vis, PSD, etc.
- Plan and execute gauge R&R and round robin testing to validate tools and make comparisons across labs.
- Collaborate with lab mates to maintain shared equipment and upkeep an orderly lab.
Required Skills & Experience:
- B.S. in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or similar field.
- 1-2 years of hands-on chemical lab experience, in academic or industry environment.
- Direct experience with characterization techniques such as ICP-OES, IC, GC-MS as well as lab skills such as precision pipetting and weighing.
- Proficiency with statistical analysis and hypothesis testing.
- A strong track record of producing high-quality data.
- Self-motivated, team-player, do what it takes attitude.
- Strong foundation in lab safety with good organizational skills.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience working with quality control and some of the statistical analysis that come with it (Control Charts, MSA, Control Limits)
- Expertise setting up new instruments and creating SOPs for them.
- Familiarity with working in a glovebox.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis software such as JMP or Minitab.
- This is a full time, permanent position.
- Employees must work on-site in Santa Clara, CA
- Disclaimer: The actual salary of a successful applicant may vary from posted ranges based on the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, internal equity and alignment with market data, and other legitimate business reasons, including, but not limited to, compliance with applicable immigration law prevailing wages.
- In addition, Natron Energy has a strong benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k Plan with Match, Life Insurance, Parental Leave Benefits, Discretionary Time Off (DTO) and Paid Time Off (PTO) for Exempt and Non-Exempt employees respectively, and 11 paid holidays.
- The salary range for this position is a minimum of $89,500 and a maximum of $121,500.
Natron Energy (natron.energy) is the future of energy storage. Natron Energy’s battery products solve operations performance and reliability problems for the world’s biggest electricity customers. Natron Energy’s initial products target markets exceeding $25B including data centers, oil & gas, EV fast charging, and commercial aviation. Natron Energy has additional products in development for >$50B markets including commercial and residential grid storage. Its products are based on sodium-ion cells containing Prussian blue electrodes that deliver unique power, cycle life, and safety: full discharge and recharge in just minutes and up to 50,000 deep discharge cycles from a nonflammable, fault-tolerant system. Natron Energy’s current production is sold out for the next 12 months. The company has signed over $225M/year in master sales agreements and LOIs, and scale-up to mass production is now underway. Natron Energy has raised over $155M in venture capital investment to date, as well as $35M in non-dilutive funding to support its supply chain scale up.
Unsolicited Resume Policy
Natron Energy, Inc. (“Natron Energy” or the “Company”) does not accept unsolicited resumes from professional recruiters, third-party recruiting or staffing agencies, placement services, or any other source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes, including partial resumes, candidate profiles, and candidate details or information, sent to Natron Energy or its personnel will be treated as public information provided free of any charges or fees.
Natron Energy will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume, unless in connection with a written agreement with the Company then in effect. Such agreement must be pre-approved by Natron Energy and executed by an authorized representative of the Company. Natron Energy specifically rejects, and denies any liability under, any agreement purporting to be accepted based on negative consent, negotiation with a candidate, performance, or any means other than the signature of an authorized representative of the Company.
Natron Energy is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org