Senior Firmware Engineer
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2023
Natron Energy is seeking a Sr. Firmware Engineer to support the full product cycle of its high-power battery systems for Data Center UPS and EV charging applications. The occupant of this position will work in a team of engineers to solve technical challenges associated with our energy storage products from initial prototyping to volume manufacturing. He or she will design, test, and validate the firmware which runs on our battery management systems (BMS). This person is a passionate, creative, goal-oriented engineer who is comfortable with developing new concepts and designs. This position requires extensive hands-on work and a do-whatever-it-takes attitude to get the job done. Position level and compensation commensurate with experience and background.
- Along with the systems engineering team, define the control architecture for new products in development
- Specify, design, and implement the firmware which runs on the product BMS
- Develop the test plan from product requirements, and execute the plan or work with others who will run the tests
- Hands-on bring-up of the hardware, along with the electrical engineers, including debugging and optimization
- Maintenance and extension of the firmware code base to enable new functionality and products
- Collaborate with NPI/operations engineering on production-level tests
Experience and Skills:
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering bachelor’s degree, master’s preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience in embedded software/firmware and device driver development
- Experience in developing firmware on a variety of microprocessors, including 32-bit and also smaller
- Proficiency in C and assembly
- Experience debugging code on a mixed analog/digital boards, and determining whether an issue is in firmware or hardware
- Experience in firmware development for BMS or related energy systems is desired
- Experience architecting firmware, knowledge of firmware/hardware design trade-offs, and knowledge of firmware optimization techniques is preferred
- This is a full-time role based in Santa Clara (a contract role is negotiable)
- Disclaimer: The actual salary of a successful applicant may vary from posted ranges based on the candidate’s experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, internal equity and alignment with market data, and other legitimate business reasons, including, but not limited to, compliance with applicable immigration law prevailing wages.
- In addition, Natron Energy has a strong benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k Plan, Life Insurance, and Flexible Time Off and Personal Time Off for Exempt and Non-Exempt employees respectively.
- The salary range for this position is a minimum of $110,000 and a maximum of $208,000.
Natron Energy (natron.energy) is the future of energy storage. Natron Energy’s battery products solve operations performance and reliability problems for the world’s biggest electricity customers. Natron Energy’s initial products target markets exceeding $25B including data centers, oil & gas, EV fast charging, and commercial aviation. Natron Energy has additional products in development for >$50B markets including commercial and residential grid storage. Its products are based on sodium-ion cells containing Prussian blue electrodes that deliver unique power, cycle life, and safety: full discharge and recharge in just minutes and up to 50,000 deep discharge cycles from a nonflammable, fault tolerant system. Natron Energy’s current production is sold out for the next 12 months. The company has signed over $225M/year in master sales agreements and LOIs, and scale-up to mass production is now underway. Natron Energy has raised over $155M in venture capital investment to date, as well as $35M in non-dilutive funding to support its supply chain scale up. The company has a strong leadership team that includes world-class C and VP level strategy, sales, operations, and technology executives.
· Founded in 2012 as a Stanford spin out
· Now selling the world’s first UL certified Na-ion product in $9B data center market, with $700k shipped and $1.5M booked
· First product (battery tray for in-rack power) is fully de-risked and sold out through Q1 2023
· Second product (ultra high-power battery rack services) launched in 2022
What differentiates Natron Energy from other battery companies?
Natron Energy solves the problems created by lead acid and lithium-ion technology:
· Higher power discharge and faster recharge
A smaller footprint for high power leaves more space to generate revenue
Fast recharge results in higher system uptime
· Industry leading service life
Tens-of-thousands of charge-discharge cycles enables real-time peak saving of volatile electrical loads
Predictable degradation without surprise failures
The only battery that cannot start a fire
Customers gain confidence and save on fire mitigation costs
Natron Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
See more open positions at Natron Energy
Something looks off?