Mill is all about answering a simple question: how can we prevent waste? Less waste can save time, money, energy, maybe even our planet. And there’s no better place to start than food. Food waste is one of the most solvable climate problems facing us today. Plus, our trash really stinks. It’s gross, heavy, and our least favorite chore. At Mill we are striving to build a better environment for all, as we take on climate and kitchen change.
Mill is looking for an experienced and thoughtful Controller to join our team. In this role, you will oversee all accounting functions and play a crucial role in defining and scaling our processes, systems, and reporting capabilities. You will work cross-functionally, engaging with every department to show how the finance function can deliver insight, efficiency, and innovation. The role will report to the Head of Finance.
- Identify and implement the best accounting practices and systems for “as-a-service” revenue models.
- Ensure financials are reported accurately and deliver key insights on the business in reporting to leadership and the board of directors.
- Interface with the company’s FP&A team and senior leadership on preparation of budgets.
- Establish financial policies, procedures, chart of accounts, controls, and reporting systems.
- Manage the company’s accounts payable, accounts receivable and treasury, ensuring proper risk-adjusted returns on cash assets.
- Continuously unearth opportunities for optimization in our business systems; driving implementation, where relevant.
- As and when determined by the company’s board, develop an annual audit process and engage with external auditors.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local requirements on tax reporting and other financial matters.
- Recruit, select, train and manage finance staff as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in accounting/finance, preferably including both audit and company-side experience
- Experience architecting and interfacing with finance-related IT systems including ERP and IMS software
- Experience with financial reporting requirements, preferably in the public company context
- Knowledge in hiring, leading, and optimizing finance and accounting teams
- Experience working in a high-growth, dynamic environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Data-driven problem solving skills and the ability to drive quality and process improvements
The estimated base salary range for this position is $137k to $180k, which does not include the value of benefits or a potential equity grant. A wide range of factors are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets, market conditions, experience and training, licensure and certifications, and business and organizational needs. At Mill, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role.