Algorithms and Sensor Developer
Mill is all about answering a simple question: how can we prevent waste? Less waste can save time, money, energy, maybe even our planet. And there’s no better place to start than food. Food waste is one of the most solvable climate problems facing us today. Plus, our trash really stinks. It’s gross, heavy, and our least favorite chore. At Mill we are striving to build a better environment for all, as we take on climate and kitchen change.
As a software engineer in a start-up environment, you will draw on a broad set of technical and problem solving skills to build Mill’s flagship product and service offering. You will have the opportunity to work on every stage of product development, from initial design to implementation to scaling. You will design algorithms to solve novel, physical problems and use controlled testing and data analysis to optimize its performance.
As a founding member of the team, you will help build out best practices and procedures and influence our growing company’s culture and team. An ideal candidate loves seeking out new problems and devising creative solutions, regardless of technology. Ideal candidates are also as excited about working on sustainability as we are!
- Design and develop algorithms deployed on either a constrained embedded environment or a cloud service (or a mix of both!)
- Design experiments and data pipelines needed to support validation and optimization at scale, and organize and analyze recorded data from controlled and uncontrolled settings and incorporate learnings into algorithms
- Collaborate closely with product design and other engineers to determine feature definition, key requirements, and constraints
- Identify needs for internal automation, tools, and infrastructure and deliver user friendly, reliable solutions
- Advise architecture requirements for data retention, storage, processing, access, and analytics in the product infrastructure
- Design for scalability, performance, and robustness
- Engage effectively with cross functional teams by delivering clear specifications and requirements and tracking execution
- 5+ years of experience using Python for scripting, automation, and data analysis.
- Ability to develop creative, robust algorithms with experience working with real world sensor data and variation, while balancing product needs, reliability, and development efficiency.
- Comfortable working with physical hardware and related lab equipment as well as familiarity with embedded environments
- Strong collaboration skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- IOT experience a plus, especially working at the intersection of devices, mobile apps, and services on consumer devices
- General knowledge of cloud providers (such as AWS or GCP) and related tools and ecosystems, especially around data pipelines and analysis.
- Familiarity with SQL queries and Data Warehouses such as Snowflake or BigQuery.
The estimated base salary range for this position is $112 to $200k, which does not include the value of benefits or a potential equity grant. A wide range of factors are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets, market conditions, experience and training, licensure and certifications, and business and organizational needs. At Mill, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role.
For your awareness, we have been requiring that all employees and visitors who come into our offices verify that they are fully vaccinated with respect to COVID-19. Of course we are open to discussing accommodations where legally required, such as for medical or religious reasons. If you need to discuss accommodations or better understand this requirement, please let me know. Otherwise, please prepare to provide verification of your vaccination.