Senior Propulsion Test Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
About the Role
At Lightship, we are revolutionizing the future of RVing, and we are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Propulsion Test Engineer to join our dynamic team in San Francisco, CA. As a critical member on our test engineering team, you will play a crucial role in the development and validation of the propulsion system on our purpose-built electric RV.
- Own the design, development, and execution of comprehensive propulsion and power system testing programs, including product and requirements validation, safety, and reliability testing
- Work in partnership with a small team of engineers and engineering technicians to complete propulsion and power system bring-up and integration efforts
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including design, engineering, and manufacturing, to define test requirements, develop test plans, and execute tests effectively
- Designs and utilize off-the-shelf test equipment, sensors, instrumentation techniques and software for vehicle-level data acquisition and analysis
- Organize and execute offsite field-testing excursions to testing tracks, campgrounds, or other remote areas
- Analyze and interpret data and results to identify product issues, and provide actionable recommendations to cross-functional teams to drive product improvement
- Drive continuous improvement in testing methodologies, processes, and tools to optimize efficiency and effectiveness
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degree is a plus
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in vehicle or electric propulsion system test planning and execution or propulsion design. Experience with rotating machinery and gearboxes is a plus
- Enthusiastic about designing and executing validation, durability, and reliability testing programs for electric power systems
- Experience building harnesses and test fixtures in a prototype development environment
- Hands-on experience with sensing/instrumentation techniques and data acquisition systems
- Extensive knowledge of electric motors, including controls, thermal, and mechanical characteristics
- Experience with CAN network analysis and various types motor control system
- In-depth knowledge of vehicle systems, including electric motors, powertrain dynos, chassis, electrical, and safety systems
- Demonstrated ability to lead and collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve project goals
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and attention to detail, with the ability to identify and troubleshoot issues during testing
- Comfortable towing or learning to tow a 27ft travel trailer (we will help train you!)
Lightship compensation consists of the yearly salary above plus equity, which gives you a stake in the company.
Employee Benefits & Philosophy - Applies to Full Time
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3-4 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.
Most roles at Lightship require onsite work from our offices Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, though some roles may require all days in office. Speak to the hiring manager to learn more.