Mechanical Design Engineering Manager
Software Engineering, Other Engineering, Design
Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2023
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As temperatures continue to rise, individuals from marginalized communities will face the harshest impacts of climate change. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. To accomplish this, we’ve put recruiting, hiring and retaining individuals from underrepresented groups at the top of our priority list. We urge you to apply if you identify as Black, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Hispanic or Latino, LGBTQ+ – or with any other underrepresented group – even if you don’t tick all the boxes in the description below.
You will design and build the mechanical systems to capture and measure the CO2 we capture from the air we breathe. In this role, you’ll mentor and guide a team that will help us design and build the infrastructure necessary to operate at the industrial levels necessary to effect global change on our CO2 footprint. In other words, your work has the potential to directly shape our fight against climate change!
Your team will:
-Use 3D tools to design, build, and test our novel enhanced weathering methodology to capture CO2 at massive scale in the billions of tons.
-Get hands-on to design, build, and test rapid proof of concept prototypes.
-Define and design product modules to support offsite fabrication and assembly with reduced onsite construction.
-Drive system level analysis to consider trade-offs between function, deployment time, operational costs, and capital investment
What you will bring
You revel in both complexity and uncertainty and delight in breaking down and translating huge problems into actionable and testable systems requirements. Over your 10+ year career you’ve accumulated expertise in modular product design, and automation systems design for industrial applications. You have developed an in depth understanding of actuators and electromechanical systems, and at least a basic understanding of control systems and electronics. Over your 3+ years of leading teams in automated system design, you’ve mentored and coached your teams on how to track hardware issues, drive root cause investigations, and take corrective actions. You lead with an analytical approach to problem definition and are a generous and patient coach and teacher when it comes to upskilling your engineers in the technical aspects of their work.
-Experience in large assembly shipping, handling, and rigging.
-Experience with plumbing and electrical routing.
-Familiar with construction methods, with an emphasis on modularity.
-Catia, NX, or Solidworks experience.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Robust health coverage. Excellent health, dental and vision insurance covered up to 100% by Heirloom. FSA option.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
At Heirloom we will be deploying systems all over the world in different conditions, including hot and cold weather. This role may require you to occasionally work at heights, perform repetitive activities, including lifting 50 pounds or more, and occasionally use some basic hand and power tools.