Community Lead - Louisiana
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2023
Are you a talented Community Engagement program leader who enjoys engaging vibrant communities while championing the fight against climate change? Do you want to be a part of a mission-driven team making a real impact on the environment?
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Join us in the exciting role of shaping Heirloom's presence and impact in Louisiana's vibrant community, while championing the fight against climate change. As a key partner to the global public policy, communications, and commercialization teams, you'll identify and build relationships with key community based organizations, from housing & food security advocates to local lawmakers & economic development groups, driving an insightful and long-term engagement campaign as Heirloom expands from the Bay Area to the Gulf Coast. You’ll also work to build an intimate understanding of the past injustices faced by marginalized groups, divestment by industrial footprints in the region and what that’s meant for economic opportunity locally, and the perspectives by local community groups as to what is helping or hurting long term economic mobility in their region – all in an effort to build out a long term community benefits plan that makes investments in the region, while turning the page of injustices o the past.
You will craft compelling messages for public platforms, work with our comms team to serve as an on the record spokesperson and key surrogate for the organization; lead dynamic events like town halls, and help build a regional understanding of Heirloom's groundbreaking technology in the context of climate resilience. From press releases to blogs, be the voice that positions Heirloom positively in the climate conversation. Influence narratives by connecting with lawmakers and tracking local policies. This role isn't just about community engagement – it's about empowering progress towards a sustainable future.
What You Will Bring
You’re a seasoned communicator with 7+ years of experience in communications and policy, demonstrating expertise in public affairs and community engagement. Your exceptional skills in written and verbal communication are a must, backed by a proven ability to craft diverse forms of content. Your previous interactions with media or policy stakeholders will shine as you spearhead public affairs and community engagement efforts. A command of climate policy or the issues confronting the new energy economy of the Gulf Coast will set you apart.
If this self-starter sounds like you, and you’re ready to make a difference, let's talk!
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.