Head of Legal
Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2023
Are you a clever, solutions focused lawyer looking to bring your expertise to the climate fight? Are you excited to help bring a brand new technology to market, shaping how agreements get done in the early days of what will soon be a truly massive industry?
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change? At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there. We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Head of Legal
We are now looking for our first in-house counsel to make an immediate positive impact as we scale. In this role, you’ll provide legal guidance to the company as a whole but will work most closely with finance, commercialization, business development, and supply chain as we close project financings, negotiate commercial contracts and financing term sheets that will see us grow through our next commercial deployments and beyond. Your work will help close the first ever DAC project financing, bringing tens of thousands of tons of carbon removal capacity online. To begin with, you’ll be a team of one, writing and helping negotiate a variety of contracts yourself while managing (and minimizing) our use of external counsel. Over time, you’ll have the opportunity to build the legal function from the ground up.
Please note: This role is based out of our Brisbane, CA office with an expectation to be onsite 3 days/week.
Whether you’ve spent time in cleantech or renewables, or are excited to pivot your career towards climate - you have hands on experience negotiating and writing contracts for complex transactions (like carbon offtake) in such a way that the output is clean and simple and easily understood by any non-legal person at the company. Across your 6+ year legal career, you have likely spent some time as an associate or partner in Big Law and have definitely gained some experience as in-house counsel or associate GC at an energy/renewables/climate tech company or “traditional” tech company and/or finance (bank) or investment firm. Whatever your background, you’ve got experience closing project financing transactions, and creating the related partnership / legal structures (SPVs, LLCs, etc). Your superpowers are your ability to identify risk, problem solve, and help business folks make decisions amidst ambiguity.
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Generous stock options. We're building a leading company in what will be a truly massive space. Share in that success.
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Health, dental and vision. The benefits you need to keep you and your family covered.
- 401(k). Save pre-tax dollars toward retirement.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
If you're ready to use your legal superpowers to help save the planet, apply now!
See more open positions at Heirloom
Something looks off?