Battery Engineer I/II
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
The Anode team is focused on the iron half of our iron-air technology. In this role you will plan, execute, and analyze experiments that will advance our understanding and optimize battery performance for long-duration energy storage systems. This role will support the Anode Team working to develop electrodes for optimal performance and reduced degradation.You will combine electrochemical test data and materials characterization data to draw conclusions and accelerate our development efforts. As part of a team of experienced battery scientists, material engineers, and data analysts, this is an opportunity to have a direct and daily impact on developing a battery technology designed to tackle climate change.
What You'll Do:
- Contribute significantly in the lab to help build, test, and characterize cells
- Analyze data from various sources (constant current experiments, AC resistance measurements, chemical assays, mechanical testing, etc.) to draw conclusions and drive decision making
- Design, execute, document and analyze experiments to evaluate the performance of new electrode materials
- Work with external vendors to qualify incoming products and develop materials specifications
- Analyze samples using microscopy, XRD, PSA, ICP, XRF and BET data
- Combine materials characterization and electrochemical results to find root cause cell failures in order to improve electrode performance understanding
What You'll Bring:
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and climate change
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics or related field
- Experience working in a wet lab, including a solid understanding of laboratory safety
- Experience working with characterization techniques such as SEM, XRD, XRF preferred
- Experience with JMP, Matlab, Python, or R preferred
- Battery experience not required, but preferred
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?