Senior Staff Power Systems Electrical Engineer
Berkeley, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We are looking for a creative and diligent electrical engineer to develop and integrate power systems used to transfer energy between Form’s batteries and the grid. This role will include hands-on work in a lab environment where assembling high power circuitry, executing tests, and solving practical problems will be daily tasks. It will also require engineering design of power circuitry and data analysis. This individual will collaborate with a rapidly growing team of engineers at the exciting intersection of power conversion, controls, and battery performance to develop our first multi-day storage product.
What You'll Do:
- Guide the selection, commissioning, and operation of electrical equipment used for testing and validation of our power electronics solutions
- Collaborate with suppliers to specify and select best-in-class power converter solutions
- Model and design DC power collection circuitry and components
- Develop and execute test plans to support engineering design and prototyping activities
- Execute performance testing and analysis of power collection and conversion components
- Identify, diagnose, and solve performance issues and problems that are unique to Form’s power collection topology
- Develop the technology roadmap and strategy for power conversion design and integration
What You'll Bring:
- BSc or greater in electronics or electrical engineering
- 8+ years experience working with power systems in a product development environment - direct experience in energy storage is a plus
- Comfortable working with high voltage (> 400 V) and high power ( > 10 kW) electrical systems and power converters
- Experience with power system prototype assembly, operation, and troubleshooting
- Familiarity with data acquisition and test automation software (e.g., Python, LABVIEW)
- Understanding of common industrial communication protocols and physical interfaces (e.g., Modbus, CANbus)
- Experience with technical lead or management responsibilities in product development
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Commitment to growth and learning across various technical disciplines
- Must be able to obtain US work authorization
The salary range for this role is $189,165-$233,345. The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor.
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
See more open positions at Form Energy
Something looks off?