Materials Informatics Engineer
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
As a Materials Informatics Engineer, you’ll work directly with our customers and our data science team to solve challenging problems at the intersection of materials science and machine learning.
About Citrine Informatics
At Citrine, we’re using generative Artificial Intelligence to enable our customers to usher in the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals.
We’re the leader in AI for materials and chemicals. Our no-code SaaS platform gives product developers, researchers, and engineers access to domain-specific data management and AI tools. Our models propose new ways to combine ingredients and processes that are most likely to outperform, helping companies discover and deploy innovative, sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals up to 98% faster than traditional R&D approaches.
Citrine regularly wins awards for innovation and sustainability, earning spots on the CB Insights AI 100 list and the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in the US. Our customers include leading organizations such as LyondellBasell, Braskem, Grace, Synthomer, and Syensqo. We also collaborate with researchers from world-renowned institutions on cutting-edge research at the intersection of AI and the physical sciences.
Our team is ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, driven by our sustainability mission, and eager to grow and learn from each other. We’re headquartered in California, with team members throughout North America and Europe. We’re growing quickly, and we’re looking for the best to join us!
About the Role
Citrine is building the future of data and AI in the materials industry. As a Materials Informatics Engineer on the Data Science team, you will play a core role in developing that future and implementing it with our customers. You will work directly with our customers to solve challenging problems at the intersection of materials science and machine learning. You’ll also provide outstanding technical support and materials informatics training to our customers to help them understand how to use Citrine tools, and how to integrate machine learning into their workflows.
- Assisting Citrine Platform users with materials informatics challenges to accelerate product development at materials, chemicals, and manufacturing companies
- Developing initial AI assets (e.g. AI models) on the Citrine Platform in collaboration with Citrine Data Scientists
- Frequent and empathetic communication with customers to provide unparalleled, domain-aware materials informatics support
- Handling incoming support requests from Citrine Platform users, including reporting and reproducing Citrine Platform bugs and feature requests
- Providing data formatting and data ingestion guidance to Citrine Platform users
- Cleaning, structuring, and exploration of materials informatics data
- Working cross-functionally with Citrine Product and Engineering teams to deploy Citrine’s technical support solution and develop frameworks and content to support it
- Creating knowledge base content (e.g. articles) that extends Citrine’s library of user-accessible materials informatics content and addresses frequently asked questions from users
- Delivering Citrine Platform training for customer users (virtual and on-site)Creating and maintaining training materials to reflect the newest Citrine Platform features
Skills and Experience
- Degree in materials science, chemistry, physics, or a related field
- Enthusiasm for working with customers in the materials industry to drive adoption of the Citrine Platform
- Enthusiasm for working with cross-functional teams to develop technical and non-technical solutions to customer challenges
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously to prioritize, manage time effectively, and execute deadlines
- Exceptional communication skills
Nice to Haves
- Experience or coursework in machine learning and/or statistics
- Teaching experience
- Aptitude for programming (python preferred)
- Studies have shown that women and underrepresented minorities are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification listed. Citrine Informatics is invested in creating a diverse, authentic, and inclusive team, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t perfectly align with what you read above, please consider applying anyway!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the interview process.
Citrine is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email us at email@example.com or inform your recruiter if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
Our Core Values
Citrine Informatics recognizes that its most valuable asset is its people. We have created our set of Core Values to encourage, support, and invest in our team as they work to innovate and support a more sustainable world. Our Core Values reflect our ongoing commitment to continuously invest in nurturing our talent and our people-first approach to conducting business.
- We take pride in and recognize the successes and growth of ourselves and our colleagues. We support each other in our growth.
- We prototype and collect data to make good decisions. We question that data and are constantly iterating to find the best solution.
- We are all owners of Citrine and make decisions like owners. We work autonomously with personal and organizational accountability.
- We commit to building a diverse and inclusive community within Citrine and actively promote equity and belonging.
- We are tirelessly committed to creating value for our customers.
- We exist to help our customers accelerate the development of sustainable products that are critical to the future of both our planet and our industry.
Compensation and Pay Transparency
At Citrine, we want your path to career growth to be transparent, straightforward, fair, and easily accessible -- starting with your application and interview process. The annual salary range listed below reflects the level we are considering for this position (please note that there may be unique situations where you may fall outside of this range). Where you fall within the range will depend on how your experience and skills align with our internal leveling system as we learn more about you throughout the interview process.
$78,000 USD - $95,000 USD
*Range(s) listed are for full-time employees based in the United States only.
Our Benefits (for exempt, full-time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4%
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Company-paid Life and Disability insurance
FSA and HSA plans
Equity options within the company
12 weeks of paid parental leave
Flexible PTO on top of our 15 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$600 tech allowance
Monthly $75 phone reimbursement
$5,000 annual continuing educational allowance