Sr R&D Electrochemical Scientist
Boston Metal is commercializing cutting-edge extractive metallurgy technology that will revolutionize primary metals production by improving metal quality while decreasing cost and lowering environmental impact. This fast-paced startup company is looking for a Senior Electrochemical Scientist to join the team.
The role will have primary responsibility for:
- Lead the design and development of improved molten oxide electrolyte performance for extractive metallurgy, tracking metrics such as conductivity, voltage, and specific energy consumption.
- Collaborate with engineering and supply chain to keep a focus on scalability while optimizing electrolyte properties.
- Conducting experiments and analyzing data on existing high temperature electrochemical testing setup.
- Developing new experimental protocols related to the characterization of electrochemical properties of molten oxide.
- Regular presentation and communication of results within the technical team, to senior management, and company wide.
- Boston Metal offers strong career advancement opportunities, a continuous learning environment, and possibilities to collaborate and mentor junior colleagues.
The Senior Electrochemical Scientist will collaborate with the R&D team on the laboratory-scale research programs as well as with the engineering team for the development activities of full-scale industrial experiments.
7+ years of experience with electrochemical research or engineering in a technical environment. MS/PhD from accredited university or college in one or more of the following areas: Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, or a closely related field.
Strong theoretical background in electrochemistry with proven ability to perform data analysis and first-principles modeling, track record in novel electrochemical research, demonstrated ability to independently plan and implement research programs.
Desired Experience & Skills
- Demonstrated technical leadership experience
- Experience with experimental electrochemical cell setup and characterization
- Materials or metallurgical research
- Experience with high-temperature setup/system
- Experience with thermodynamic modeling and calculations (FactSage preferred)
- Experience in research with large data sets
- Analysis Scripting in Matlab or Python
- Experience using Labview
- Materials characterization
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical. Many of our staff members are required to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and you should be prepared to do so as well when necessary.
We offer a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick time & holidays, and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, genetic information, ancestry, disability, veteran or military status or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please provide resume if interested.