In-house Legal Compliance Manager
In-house Legal and Compliance Manager
Boston Metal is commercializing cutting edge extractive metallurgy technology that will revolutionize primary metals production, while decreasing cost and lowering environmental impact. This fast-paced startup company is looking for an organized, detail-oriented, deadline-driven, tech-savvy In-house Legal and Compliance Manager.
You will report directly to the Sr VP of Corporate while managing all legal matters of Boston Metal. At the beginning you be supported by third party legal advisors to examine and support the legal topics such as agreements, copyrights, trademarks, patents, insurance, employee issues, governance, data protection, compliance and all legal issues to support all areas of the organization and its international subsidiaries. You will also be responsible for creating an internal control and internal governance for all legal aspects of the organization assuring its effectiveness. The ideal candidate will be able to grow with the business taking on tasks with varying complexity and increasing responsibility. A high level of competence, integrity, discretion, and professionalism is key.
This position is responsible for overseeing a broad range of legal, compliance and administrative activities within the department which may include:
- Regulatory, employment, insurance claims, business development, contracts, mergers & acquisitions, real estate, date privacy and protection, environmental, litigation and commercial issues.
- Assist with developing strategies and optimizing internal processes necessary to support effective and efficient delivery of legal services across the organization. Research laws, investigate issues, and assist in the preparation of legal documents to support SVP of Corporate. Keep minutes of corporate meetings for review and evaluation.
- Maintain a file system for legal documents and may act as legal librarian, ensuring reference materials are current
- Handle administrative support work including records retention, litigation and investigation support, e-discovery support, file systems management, process optimization, corporate governance, international subsidiaries/partners, and other related tasks.
- Oversee legal database, filing system, and document management system.
- Represent the legal department and act as a point of contact for non-attorney issues.
- Coordinate the services from outside counsel and other external legal resources.
- May oversee contract development, review and administration.
- Support the development, management, and implementation of legal and enterprise policies, procedures, and processes.
- Review and/or negotiate, or assist with the review and negotiation of NDAs, vendor agreements, and certain commercial agreements.
- Work with Controller to manage law firm matter budget review and spend analysis process.
- Develop and oversee process and policies to manage other external resources, such as auditors, consultants, and vendors.
- Track in-house legal department trends and best practices and collect relevant benchmarking to inform department initiatives.
- Provide analysis and recommendations with respect to alternative fee arrangements (including assessing and advising any fee adjustment requests).
- Develop an efficient and effective information governance program for all legal content and information.
- Create processes for capturing, distributing, and effectively using legal knowledge and information, from work products (such as legal memos, emails, and contracts).
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners and teams including technology, finance, human resources, and other teams.
- Develop and implement an effective legal compliance (anticorruption) program.
- Create internal control and monitor adherence.
- Draft and revise policies.
- Implement and manage a whistleblower channel.
- Prepare a risk assessment and a third-party background check program.
Required Experience & Skills:
- JD from ABA accredited law school with 10+yrs relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Minimum 5 yrs experience working in a corporate/in-house legal department, law firm or legal vendor firm.
- Experience in, and a passion for, designing, implementing, and managing successful, scalable processes within an in-house Legal Team and Anticorruption Program.
- Experience in workflow automation tools, matter management, ebilling, RFP and document/contract management systems.
- Detailed planning and organizational skills to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to work independently, in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Strong collaboration skills, with the skill to build relationships within a team, across departments, and with external stakeholders.
- Ability to identify opportunities, define requirements and implement process improvement.
- Attention to detail with excellent time management/prioritization skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word.
- Experience reviewing, redlining, and negotiating vendor agreements, NDAs, or other agreements.
- Strong working knowledge of project management software and concepts.
- Experience implementing contracts lifecycle management (CLM) solutions.
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical. We operate pilot plants and labs and many of our staff members are required to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and you should be prepared to do so as well when necessary.
We offer a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick & holidays, and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, disability, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.