Environmental, Health and Safety Associate
The EHS Associate will work alongside our Environmental, Health and Safety Manager providing strategic direction, leadership, and technical support to establish and advance EHS programs, policies and procedures with a primary focus on health and safety compliance with all local, state, federal, and environmental regulations.
- Build partnerships at sites across all levels of the organization to foster EHS culture.
- Maintain an understanding and knowledge of legal EHS requirements of OSHA/ EPA /DOT regulatory compliance with Federal, State and Local regulations.
- Prior experience with job hazard analysis, fire and life safety, lockout/tagout, fall protection, electrical safety and other physical safety programs, chemical hygiene and hazard communication standards, developing standard operating procedures, and conducting interdisciplinary EHS inspections.
- Assist in the development and implementation of training initiatives and provide guidance to all employees to ensure adherence to company EHS procedures, standard safety practices and emergency procedures.
- Work on cross-functional projects that interface with other groups, external to and within the core EHS team.
- Assist with EHS audits; audit compliance to carrier policies and procedures and regulatory requirements; maintain and improve environmental regulatory compliance initiatives; evaluate effectiveness of EHS programs.
- Proactive in the identification of Health & Safety hazards and the development of controls to mitigate risks, including ergonomic improvements.
- Properly manage hazardous waste storage and disposal.
- Works closely with site’s facility management services to ensure EHS compliance.
- Assist in conducting root cause analysis to determine causes of incident/accidents.
- Determination and implementation of environmental sustainability initiatives to minimize water use, greenhouse gas generation, hazardous waste generation and increase recycling rate.
- Design and implement new programs to address unique research and laboratory safety issues.
- Maintain PPE and safety equipment, manage hazardous waste accumulation areas, and conduct other daily critical EHS functions.
Required skills and experience:
- BA/ BS degree in Environmental Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene or related degree.
- 4+ years of EHS experience with increasing responsibilities.
- Strong knowledge, understanding and legal compliance with EHS requirements, Health and Safety regulations (OSHA/EPA/DOT), standard concepts, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge in EHS risk assessment, program evaluation, auditing, reporting methods and metrics.
- Experience of manufacturing/warehouse and lab research and development setting.
- Willingness to develop, implement and lead EHS initiatives, programs and systems while working in diverse environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to excel, while working in a fast-paced team-based work environment is critical.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and work with all levels of the organization and external agencies.
- Adaptable and comfortable with task-switching as priorities shift.
- Problem solver with strong work ethic and decision-making skills.
- Available to respond to site emergencies outside regular business hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Able to wear a respirator if the situation requires.
- Able to ascend and descend ladders, stairs and platforms.
- Able to lift up to 55 lbs.
- Proficient in MS Office (including PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has potential for exposure to hazardous chemicals and/or hazardous waste, extremely high temperatures, occasional exposure to moving equipment the risks of which are minimized through compliance with the use of proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and established safety policies and procedures. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
You will be working in a small team environment where teamwork and good relationships with other team members is critical.
We offer a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation, sick time & holidays, and a 401k with company matching provision.
Boston Metal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, genetic information, ancestry, disability, veteran or military status or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please provide resume if interested.