Seasonal Seed Technician - $1,000 Bonus
BREEDING SITE - CHAMPAIGN, ILLINOIS
BE BOLD! BE INSPIRED! BE REAL! BE YOU.
Our core values are what drive and inspire us. We are not seeking ordinary – we are seeking those who want to build something unique, be challenged, and shake the food system as we know it. Here at Benson Hill, you’ll be part of something greater than yourself. You’ll do work you’ve only heard of. We want the real you.
Benson Hill’s Field Operations team focuses on the development and efficient collection of data and seed for the success of the Benson Hill Yellow Pea and Soybean pipelines. The Field Operations team is the generator of data to feed CropOs for successful variety development and delivers high quality seed to the Commercial teams to execute delivery of superior Ingredient products. The Field Operations team focuses on efficiency and quality to ensure that work-life balance is maintained, safety of all employees is achieved, seed quality is of the highest standards and data is powerful.
We are actively seeking a seasonal Seed Technician to join our rapidly growing soybean breeding program in Champaign, Illinois. The Technician retrieves and ships samples to our greenhouse in St. Louis to support Research and Development. Individuals are expected to perform standardized tasks and follow procedures as outlined by supporting documents. Work in the field includes walking across acres of fields to complete your task of sampling soybeans (stripping pods from plants). You bring great attention to detail, solid communication skills, and are results oriented.
YOU'LL BE EMPOWERED TO:
- Collect and process samples of seed or tissue for laboratory tests and field operations
- Navigate in fields, follow protocols, and getting samples to ship via FedEx to generate data in a laboratory, field, or greenhouse setting
- Attention to detail and following direction in a short and sensitive timeline for sampling before harvest
- Follow all safety protocols and daily check ins with the home office
- Work individually to complete tasks
- Care for research plants by ensuring horticulture protocols are followed
- Maintains clean facilities, equipment, and instruments
- Be flexible during weather implications or long days
YOU WILL NOT:
Be an order taker. You are here to drive change
Accept Ordinary. You will challenge the way things are done
Go through the motions. You'll need to help build the strategy
Create silos. You will work across the enterprise in a positive and influential way
Act only in your best interest. The success of Benson Hill is dependent upon all team members working together for the greater good of the organization.
YOU HAVE THE SKILLS WE NEED:
- Have Grit, be comfortable with ambiguity, adaptable through a changing environment and be inquisitive through curiosity.
- Communicate efficiently and effectively within teams and across the organization.
- Participate in company engagements to enhance culture.
- HS Diploma/GED
- Agriculture knowledge of practices and management is a bonus
- Knowledge of precision & agricultural equipment preferred is a bonus
- Problem identification, problem solving and improvement & execution of processes
- IPad user interface for data collection
- Strong communication skills
- Results oriented
- Customer focus
- Ability to lift 60 lbs. repetitively
- Ability to work in various climates & conditions
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to focus and work independently